By RASHAD ROLLE
Tribune Staff Reporter
THE hearings into the alleged abuse of Cuban detainees by Defence Force marines at the Carmichael Road Detention Centre earlier this year will resume on Wednesday, the lawyer for the marines, Wayne Munroe, said yesterday.
The trial had resumed last week.
About 12 witnesses have since taken the stand, including Carlos Pupo, a former detainee who claims to have been beaten at the Detention Centre in June.
Mr Munroe added that though the other detainees were repatriated to Cuba, he hopes they will testify even if authorities must go through the Bahamian Commission in Cuba to secure their testimonies.
Immigration officers, Defence Force marines and medical personnel are among others who have testified in the trial so far, he added.
On Wednesday a tour of the Detention Centre is expected to take place to see “how everything is set up there,” he said, adding that the tour should be a particularly valuable experience for three independent observers who must prepare a report on the trial for National Security Minister Dr Bernard Nottage.
In September, Dr Nottage appointed retired Justice Cheryl Albury, Bahamas Christian Council President Rev Dr Ranford Patterson and former RBDF Commander Leon Smith to observe the hearings.
Mr Munroe previously said he would challenge the decision to let them sit in on the trial, but after taking instructions from his clients, he said he has decided not to contest their presence.