By LAMECH JOHNSON
Tribune Staff Reporter
A CONVICT will be appointed an attorney at the public’s expense as he challenges his conviction and life sentence for murdering a fast food restaurant manager after seducing and robbing him.
Indicating his intention to appeal during his appearance in the Court of Appeal yesterday, 41-year-old Simeon Bain also told appellate court justices he would need assistance as he did not have the financial resources to retain an attorney.
Justices Anita Allen, Stanley John and Abdulai Conteh noted his request and told Bain he would be appointed an attorney at the public’s expense.
He is scheduled to return to the Claughton House courtroom on November 13, 2013 for a status hearing.
On May 2, Bain was unanimously convicted of all the charges he faced, save attempted robbery, concerning the September 19, 2009, death of 21-year-old Rashad Morris.
Morris was kidnapped from the Charlotte Street branch of Burger King and taken to the Tonique Williams-Darling Highway branch, where he had been the manager.
He was ordered to open the safe. After failing to do so, he was stabbed in the restaurant’s parking lot before his throat was slashed.
Bain denied charges of murder, robbery, attempted robbery, housebreaking, and kidnapping.
Immediately after his conviction, the case’s lead prosecutor, Director of Public Prosecutions Vinette Graham-Allen, immediately announced the Crown’s intention to seek the death penalty.
However, on July 30, Justice Indra Charles sentenced Bain to life imprisonment on the basis that the case did not meet the “worst of the worst” threshold set by the London-based Privy Council.
Terry Archer and Viola Barnett appeared for the Crown in yesterday’s appellate court proceedings.