Unsolved Murders On Grand Bahama Still Under Investigation


Tribune Freeport Reporter


TWO unsolved high-profile murder cases on Grand Bahama are still open and under police investigation, a senior police official told The Tribune yesterday. Inspector Terecita Pinder said the murders of British citizen, Edgar Dart, and local businessman, Sedric Hepburn, were still relevant months after they occurred.

Mr Dart, 56, was brutally murdered on April 8 while Mr Hepburn, 47, was gunned down the following month. Both murders took place in upscale residential areas in East Grand Bahama.

Mr Dart, who lived in Canada, was vacationing in Grand Bahama at the time of his death. He and several relatives were at his mother’s residence in the Emerald Bay Subdivision when three armed intruders broke in around 7am and held them hostage.

The attackers shot Mr Dart. The family was tied up with duct tape and robbed of jewellery and other personal items.

In an effort to generate leads, a $25,000 reward was offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for killing the wealthy farmer. His death was classified as the island’s sixth homicide for the year.

Mr Hepburn, the operator of CLA Trucking, was shot to death around 6pm on May 14 as he and his girlfriend were on their routine daily walk on Fortune Bay Drive. The heavy equipment operator was shot multiple times in his body and died at the scene.

The shooting occurred near the North Star Resort. Relatives had reported that Mr Hepburn had received a death threat that day before going on his walk. His death was classified at the island’s seventh homicide in 2014, a count that has since risen to eight.

A third unsolved murder on Grand Bahama is that of American citizen Anthony Kyle Welch who was killed on January 24.

Mr Welch, 47, of Mississippi, was discovered dead in his home in Lucaya. He had been bound with duct tape and stabbed multiple times in his body.

The fourth unsolved murder case involves the shooting of local resident Charles Miller, also known as “Yellow”, on May 25. The surveillance footage of the actual shooting was posted on social media.

According to reports, Mr Miller was at the Gwen’s Plaza when he was gunned down and shot multiple times. Persons with information that might assist with the investigations into the murder cases are asked to call the police.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment