Curfew For Accused In Firearms Case


Tribune Staff Reporter


A CURFEW was imposed on a man who was granted bail following his arraignment yesterday in connection with one of the 11 firearm seizures so far for 2015.

Chief Magistrate Joyann Ferguson-Pratt told 22-year-old Cameron Brown he would have to be home by 9pm on Fridays and Saturdays until the completion of his trial for possession of an unlicensed firearm and possession of ammunition.

“Each Friday and Saturday at 9pm you ought to be home in your house,” the magistrate said.

She added, “You could be at KFC even. If after 9pm you are not at home and the police find you, you will be in breach of the conditions.

“If you want to go to a church meeting that’s likely to last beyond 9pm, you come to this court first for permission,” she added.

Brown, of Smith’s Lane, is alleged to have been found with a silver and black coloured Taurus Pt845 .45 Pistol and eight .45 live rounds of ammunition for the gun on January 3.

The accused pleaded not guilty to both charges.

On the question of bail, police prosecutor ASP Clifford Daxon objected on the basis that the alleged offence had been committed while Brown was on $9,500 bail from the Supreme Court for a pending 2012 drug case in the Magistrates Court.

Brown’s lawyer, Shaka Serville, countered that the current charges are not similar to the pending case, which made his client a fit candidate for the chief magistrate’s discretion to grant bail.

Mr Serville further pointed out that the drug case had yet to start since his client’s arraignment in August 2012.

ASP Daxon replied the half of the delays in the matter were due to Brown’s other defence counsel who was unavailable on the adjourned dates.

Chief Magistrate Ferguson-Pratt said the blame for the delays could not be put on the accused.

Having considered the submissions from both sides, she said the court “is minded to reluctantly, very reluctantly, grant you bail and give you the benefit of the doubt that you will appear before the court.”

Brown was given a $9,000 bond with two suretors where he is required to report to the Grove Police Station on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays on or before 6pm.

“It is not my practice to give adult young men (a) curfew as I’m of the view that they should have the freedom of movement, but I’m going to impose a curfew on this young man on weekends,” the chief magistrate said.

Brown is to stand trial in March.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.