Haitian Man Found Hanging From Tree


Tribune Chief Reporter


POLICE are investigating an apparent suicide after a Haitian man was found by his brother hanging from a tree behind his home yesterday morning.

Assistant Commissioner of Police Stephen Dean said the deceased - who is believed to be in his mid-60s - was discovered hanging by a rope tied to a tree behind the Canaan Lane home off Shirley Street that he shared with his brother.

The victim’s brother, Moliere Joseph, said he was shocked to find the deceased’s body, telling reporters that he had spoken with his brother the previous night.

Yesterday, ACP Dean said: “Shortly after 8am we received the report, when officers arrived they met the lifeless body of man hanging from a rope. He was pronounced dead at the scene. He is believed to be in his mid-60s, and preliminary information suggests that he might be a Haitian national.”

ACP Dean said police have not found evidence to suggest foul play; however, he noted investigators will await the results of an autopsy to determine cause of death.

Police did not release the man’s identity, but The Tribune understands he is Santiele Joseph, a father of seven.

Last month, Delroy Anthony David Cartwright was found in a similar manner by his niece in the backyard of his Murphyville Road home off Rosetta Street.

Mr Cartwright was believed to be in his early 70s. Chief Superintendent Clayton Fernander, officer-in-charge of the Central Detective Unit (CDU), said the deceased was discovered shortly after 10.30am hanging from a rope tied to a tree on August 18.

Mr Cartwright’s family expressed shock after his death, telling The Tribune that he was a “very loving” man who “didn’t show any signs of being unhappy” leading up to his death.

In June, a 48-year-old father of three was found hanged from the ceiling of a wooden shed attached to his Hillside Estates home.

According to police, the victim’s wife found him hanging from the rafters with an extension cord tied around his neck. At the time, Chief Supt Fernander said the man’s wife, after praying with her husband, went about “her normal routine getting ready for work” when she realised she had not seen her spouse for some time.

He said the wife went to check on her husband only to discover him hanging from a drop cord thrown over a rafter in the shed.

At the time, Chief Supt Fernander said police did not suspect foul play. He said the family of the deceased said he had been depressed for some time and was receiving counselling.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment