Providence Basketball Classic Heats Up On Day 2


Tribune Sports Reporter


The Providence Basketball Club moved into day two of its holiday tournament yesterday featuring 16 of the top senior boys' basketball programmes throughout the island nation.

Hosted at the DW Davis Gymnasium, the tournament continues at 1pm today.

Aquinas College Aces - 55

Doris Johnson Mystic

Marlins - 54

Dwight Miller erased a late deficit on his own with a pair of three-pointers in the final 30 seconds to lift the Aces to the overtime win.

Miller's three at the top of the key with 7.4 seconds left to play gave the Aces the lead for good. He finished with a team-high 18 points, including four three-pointers. John Nixon also scored 14 for the Aces and Jordan Freemantle scored eight. Tyeko Lowe led the Mystic Marlins with 19 points, 14 of which came in the fourth quarter.

Tied at 48 headed into overtime, the Mystic Marlins got scores from Dave Hinsey and Jaythan Belle. They took their first two possessions of the game 54-49 with a steal and layup from Lowe.

Miller added a three-pointer to pull the Aces within two, 54-52 with 11.8 seconds left. Lowe was foul but missed both at the line to give the Aces an opportunity to tie or score. On the Aces next possession, Nixon found Miller at the top of the key for the go-ahead score. The Mystic Marlins were unable to get a quality shot up on their final possession.

In the first quarter, the Aces struck first with a Miller corner three and Nixon layup for a quick 5-0 lead. After Kenneth Barry's free throws broke the ice for the Mystic Marlins, Miller made another corner three for the Aces and Rodriquez Gittens added a putback for a 10-2 lead. Miller scored on a fast break layup for a double-digit lead (12-2).

The Aces' lead reached as much as 15 points on a Nixon layup and his team took a commanding 19-4 lead. Nixon began the second the same way, which first concluded with an uncontested layup and they continued the run in the second to take a 31-16 lead at the half.

A lackluster third quarter featured just nine combined points from both teams. The Aces took a 35-21 lead headed into the fourth before Lowe took over the game on both ends of the floor to get his team back into the game.

He took three straight steals in the backcourt and sparked a 9-0 run for the Mystic Marlins. He successfully converted a three-point play to make the score 37-32 with just under five minutes left to play. The Aces got back-to-back scores from Nixon and Miller to stop the run. Freemantle made a pair of throws as his team regained a 10-point lead to seemingly put the game away. The Mystic Marlins had one more run with a three from Tristian Seymour, a score from Belle, another layup from Lowe layup, one of two free throws from Hinsey and a Lowe layup made it was a one-possession game, 44-42 with just under two minutes left to play.

Another Lowe layup tied the game but missed an opportunity to take the lead on a three-point play. Belle gave Doris Johnson their first lead of the game but both teams traded baskets late to force overtime at 48.

St John's College Giants - 46

Bahamas Elite Sports

Academy Hawks - 42

The Giants produced a balanced scoring attack while only four players scored for the Hawks in the second game of the opening session.

Seth Fountain scored six of his 11 points in the fourth quarter to lead the Giants while Kaden Cash added nine and Voushan Bullard scored eight. Colin Storr led the Hawks with 22 points while Eamon Collie scored nine.

The Hawks trapped their way to an early 12-2 lead on a Storr fast break dunk. After another Storr dunk, he added a steal and three-point play for an 18-6 lead at the end of the first.

The Giants worked their way back into the game in the second quarter once the pace of the game slowed down. A Cash layup cut the lead to 21-15. The Giants couldn't manage a field goal the remainder of the quarter, but the Hawks were unable to widen the margin and led 25-18 at the half.

The Giants opened the third on a 5-0 run to come within two, 25-23. The Giants went 0-6 at the line with opportunities to tie the game but on their fourth possession, tied it at 25 on a Fountain layup. Storr stopped the Giants run with a pair at the line at the 2:37 mark, the first Hawks score of the quarter. Bullard gave Giants their first lead of the game, 28-27 and both teams in bonus for the last two minutes of the quarter. Cash converted a three-point play to give Giants a 32-27 lead and they tacked on late free throws to take a 34-27 lead into the fourth.

The Giants led 39-31 with 2:45 left to play but the Hawks went on a 9-0 run and regain the lead, 40-39 at the 2:01 mark. Fountain stopped the run and tied the game at 40 at the line and he added a layup to take lead but couldn't convert the three-point play. Shorthanded all game, the Hawks were reduced to four players after a pair of foul outs and the Giants took advantage late with a pair of easy fastbreak baskets to seal the win.

CI Gibson Rattlers - 60

South Andros - 41

The Rattlers led nearly wire to wire in a dominant performance led by 18 points from Tyrell Butler and 14 from Terrence Storr.

After falling behind 4-0, the Rattlers won first quarter 13-6.

In the second, Butler's three gave their first double-digit lead, 17-7. He followed with a three-pointer on the next possession. Storr's layup just before the buzzer sounded gave the Rattlers a 31-15 lead at the half.

Butler with back-to-back fast break scores gave the Rattlers an 18-39 lead at the 3:37 mark in the third quarter. The run reached 9-0 on a three-point play and the Rattlers closed the quarter on an 11-2 run.

St George's Jaguars - 50

Mt Carmel Cavaliers - 36

It was nearly a complete roster turnover for the defending national champion Jaguars, including junior national team player Christopher Johnson among the new cast of characters.

Johnson scored a team-high 12 points, Kingcy Thompson - one of the few returning members from last year's team scored nine, Shamal Butters scored eight and Theodore Grant scored seven.

Jermaine Williams led Mount Carmel with 14 points while Michael Smith and Eugene Neely each added seven points.

The Jaguars took an early 8-2 lead and a tip-in from Butters just beat the buzzer and gave Jaguars a 16-5 lead at the end of the first quarter. Grant added a three-point play to start the second and dished an assist to Thompson on the next play. Thompson scored on a reverse layup and the Jaguars' run reached 7-0 in just under two minutes. The Jaguars went to their bench and the Cavaliers cut the deficit to just 10 and St George's led 26-17 at the half.

Johnson came up with the steal at half court and fastbreak dunk for a 30-19 lead. The Jags led comfortably for much of the third and gave up just seven points in the quarter. Thompson's floater gave his team a 41-24 lead headed into the fourth.

Butters dominated offensive glass all day and his follow dunk on a missed layup was the exclamation point in the fourth quarter as time expired.

GHS Magic - 45

SAC Big Red Machine - 43

Samuel Gibson scored nine of his 13 points in the fourth quarter and capped the Magic's comeback effort.

He split a pair at the line with three seconds left to play to seal the win for GHS. Gibson led three Magic scorers in double figures along with David Hagan and Pedro Knowles both with 10 and Dimargio Taylor chipped in with six.

Rickey Moxey led the Big Red Machine with 15 points while Avery Nesbith added 11.

Moxey's layup gave SAC a 40-33 lead midway through the fourth, their biggest advantage since the first quarter. GHS would score four points in a row, but Moxey responded again for SAC with a three-point play to make the score 43-36 with just under two minutes left to play. The Magic would close the game on a 9-0 run for the win. Taylor's back to back floaters gave the Magic a 44-43 lead with 35.2 secs left to play After both teams traded turnovers, Gibson sealed the win at the line.

SAC opened the game with seven unanswered points and took a 10-3 lead in the first quarter.

With the lead, the Big Red Machine went through a drought that lasted half of the second quarter, and the Magic cut lead to14-11 on Terion Kemp layup. Knowles' three pointer made it 16-14 and the GHS tied the score on the next possession on a Thomas Moss fast-break layup. GHS took their first lead of the game, 18-16 on a pair of Gibson free throws. Ahmad Young's tip tied the game at 18 heading into the half.

Knowles scored the first two baskets of the third to give the Magic a four-point lead but SAC regained a 23-22 lead on a Brian Lockhart score. Justin Burrows began to make a difference on the offensive boards and scored consecutive cutbacks from rebounds. SAC's Aaron Sands made the final basket of the period and SAC took a 32-28 lead into the fourth.

On day one, CI Gibson, SAC, St. Georges's and CC Sweeting were all multiple game winners.

Teleos opened the event with a 53-28 win over Elite. Mt Carmel won 46-38 over CV Bethel, GHS won by default over Doris Johnson and CI Gibson closed out session one with a 65-43 win over Anatol Rodgers. In session two, Agape opened with a 51-47 win over South Andros, followed by CC Sweeting's 57-30 win over St. John's, SAC's 42-30 win over Aquinas and a 52-25 win for St. George's over QC. In session three. CI Gibson began session three with the most lopsided win of the day, 73-35 over Agape. SAC won 47-39 over Doris Johnson, St. George's won 50-19 over CV Bethel and CC Sweeting concluded the schedule with a 52-27 win over Elite.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment