By RENALDO DORSETT
Tribune Sports Reporter
IT appears that Tureano “Reno” Johnson might get his wish by getting a bout against elite competition in the middleweight division.
According to ESPN Deportes, DAZN plans to schedule the bout between Johnson and WBO junior middleweight title holder Jaime Munguia, as one of its many marquee matchups this fall. “For the month of October, DAZN expects to schedule Devin Haney-Yuriorkis Gamboa and Jaime Munguía-Tureano Johnson,” the ESPN report said.
“Tentatively for September they could reschedule the battle between Jorge Linares and Javier Fortuna, and for November the fight between Gennadiy Golovkin and Kamil Szeremeta.”
Both Johnson and Munguia fight under Golden Boy Promotions. The possible bout between the two has also been profiled on the promotional outlet’s web series “Fantasy Fights.”
Now sporting a 21-2-1 win-loss-draw record, Johnson is coming off a victory over the previously undefeated Jason Quigley on July 18 for the NABF middleweight title at the Fantasy Springs Casino in Indio, California. Just after his win over Quigley, Johnson was ranked No.8 in the World Boxing Council and No.15 in the International Boxing Federation. He first issued a challenge to Munguia in May via Twitter.
“Gots to keep the momentum,” Johnson tweeted, “Let’s bring on Jaime Munguia. Come and test the waters with a real Middleweight SHARK. Come for a swim.”
Munguia, 23, is undefeated (35-0, 28 KOs) and stopped Gary O’Sullivan in round 11 of his last fight on January 11.
Johnson was profiled by Golden Boy Promotions on his time spent during quarantine and made a clear statement on his intentions for his return to the ring. “It’s not just Munguia, its any of the big boys out there. I am in the top 10, I’ve been in the top 10 for quite a while. In recent times I’ve even been close to the number one ranking. I deserve that opportunity, I believe I’ve gotten an unfair shake at many times but that’s just the way boxing is at times,” Johnson said.