June 30, 2015
Stories this photo appears in:
BAHA Mar has received more than 11,000 applications for employment as progress is being made with the hiring process, with the company’s new Vice President of Human Resources Kristy Cowper yesterday expressing “excitement” with applicant turnout in the weeks since the once stalled hotel property resumed activities last month.
BAHA MAR will begin the process today of recruiting 1,500 Bahamians in its first wave of hiring for the once stalled $3.5 billion resort according to Robert Sands, the resort’s senior vice-president of government and external affairs.
MORE than a year on since its failed attempt at brokering an agreement between Sarkis Izmirlian and Chinese stakeholders, a high-ranking government delegation is headed back to China to meet with prospective Baha Mar buyer Chow Tai Fook Enterprises (CTFE) and tour its casino operations.
Surprise, surprise. After 20 months of waiting the Government has announced a Chinese carve up of the stalled Cable Beach mega resort, Malcolm J Strachan says . . .
PRIME Minister Perry Christie yesterday reminded Baha Mar stakeholders that if negotiations over the stalled project are not completed by November 2, the government would move forward with the “chilling prospect” of initiating formal liquidation proceedings.
BAHA Mar’s joint provisional liquidators (JPLs) have re-engaged China Construction America (CCA) as the general contractor at the stalled $3.5bn mega resort, according to a statement released on Thursday morning.
BAHA Mar’s prospects of opening in the “foreseeable future” are unlikely on its current path, British Queen’s Counsel Peter Knox told a Supreme Court judge yesterday.
A SUPREME Court judge adjourned proceedings on the government's petition to wind up Baha Mar to August 19-20 on Friday morning after revelations that Baha Mar's contractor has expressed reservations about the personnel appointed to serve as provisional liquidators for Baha Mar.
THE government’s delegation to assist with negotiations over the stalled Baha Mar project is en route back to the Bahamas this afternoon.
THE bitter war of words between Baha Mar and its general contractor continued yesterday with resort executives calling China Construction America’s (CCA) offer to invest $100 million in the stalled project a “sham”.
Divorces are often messy and expensive. And the Bahamas could be in for its biggest yet, if Baha Mar is able to woo its debt financier into agreeing a $400 million separation from its main contractor.
BAHA Mar’s bankruptcy dilemma could not have come at a worse time for persons employed in the tourism industry, a tour driver told The Tribune yesterday.
BAHA Mar has sought an adjournment of its extension application hearing before Justice Ian Winder concerning a Delaware Bankruptcy court's ruling on the resort's successful filing for debtor in possession financing.
BAHA MAR warned yesterday that the Bahamian government’s objection in the Supreme Court to advancing its US Chapter 11 bankruptcy process could result in the resort making “drastic and regrettable steps, including substantial staff reductions”.
ATTORNEY General Allyson Maynard Gibson today confirmed that the government will pay the salaries of more than 2,000 Baha Mar workers this month as negotiations over the fate of the stalled $3.5bn project continue.
BAHA Mar Limited, the parent company behind the stalled $3.5 billion mega-resort in Cable Beach, is suing China State Construction Engineering Corporation Ltd, the resort’s largest creditor, one day after filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the United States.
MORE than 2,000 Baha Mar workers were yesterday told to stay at home until further notice as the mega-resort pledged to pay salaries and benefits for the next three weeks until it begins court hearings on its Chapter 11 bankruptcy claim.