February 20, 2018
Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis, left, with Peter Krieger, non-executive director of Oban Energies. Photo: Yontalay Bowe/OPM Media Services
Stories this photo appears in:
PRIME Minister Dr Hubert Minnis says he was “upright” and “honest” in publicly addressing concerns about the Oban Energies oil refinery and storage project planned for Grand Bahama.
Bahamas National Trust is “greatly concerned” about the location of the proposed $5.5 billion Oban Energies oil refinery and storage facility in Grand Bahama, saying it cannot “envisage any scenario” where it could support the controversial project.
Not what we hoped for - yet again, Dr Minnis
ANY number of pronouncements made by the prime minister can be pointed to when trying to assess what has caused the rapid deterioration of the goodwill he’s had with the Bahamian public. Whether we look at the use of superfluous campaign rhetoric that has come back to haunt him, or careless use of speech on a few too many occasions when we needed to hear from a coherent and composed leader.
PROGRESSIVE Liberal Party Leader Philip “Brave” Davis said Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis is “reckless” for proceeding with the $5.5 billion Oban Energies project despite last week’s revelations about its front man, adding this shows his “lack of good judgment”.
LOCAL media exploded last week upon the startling revelations surrounding Oban Energies’ non-executive chairman, Peter Krieger. The government’s initial announcement of a $5.5bn oil refinery project in Grand Bahama initially seemed like a proactive step towards getting Bahamians back to work. However, as last week unfolded, the citizenry has become widely sceptical and Prime Minister Minnis, who seems to can’t win for losing and is yet again looking as though he is out of his depth.
THE multi-billion dollar Oban Energies project for East Grand Bahama has passed the government’s due diligence assessments, Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis and officials of the oil refinery and storage company said yesterday.