Latest stories

Subscribe


VAT holiday push-back brings frustration

THE government’s decision to push back the VAT Holiday for back-to-school shopping was criticised by the Free National Movement and has caused frustration among some parents.

Tease photo

FNM walkabout in St Barnabas

FREE National Movement leader Michael Pintard, alongside the party’s St Barnabas Association We Care Team and the FNM’s crime prevention and anti-violence team conducted a walkabout in the constituency to raise awareness of crime and its effects on the communities in our nation.

Memorial for Haitian migrants ‘by end of month’

Consultant Louby Georges says officials are hopeful that by the end of the month a memorial will be held for the Haitian migrants who died in a human smuggling incident last month when the boat they were on capsized.


Port Authority ‘open for talks’ with Del Zottos

The Grand Bahamas Port Authority (GBPA) is “open” for discussions with the Del Zotto family on the closure of their various interests in Grand Bahama.

Tease photo

Entrepreneur to launch haircare line in 2023

A female Bahamian entrepreneur in St Louis is launching in The Bahamas and looking for seven-figure growth in 2023.

Tease photo

Bahamians ‘may not be able to take advantage of lending’

The Clearing Bank Association’s (CBA) chairman is not sure Bahamians will be able to take advantage of the new relaxed lending policies handed down by the Central Bank.


Tease photo

Diesel price cut thanks to wholesaler not govt

The Bahamas Petroleum Dealers Association’s (BPDA) said that the price of diesel coming down is more to do about the wholesaler working behind the scenes than it is the government lowering taxes on gas and diesel.

Tease photo

Ann Marie Davis becomes Salvation Army patron

ANN Marie Davis is committed to supporting the Salvation Army in all its efforts, but particularly the organisation’s long-standing desire to establish a larger women’s shelter.

Tease photo

08122022 WEEKEND

Friday, 12th August, 2022.


Govt ‘violence interrupter’ scheme not started yet

PASTOR Carlos Reid, a consultant to the Ministry of National Security, has said the government’s “violence interrupters” initiative has not yet started, despite continued murders in the country.

Tease photo

Pinewood drainage system work ‘soon’

PINEWOOD MP Myles Laroda says he has been informed that construction works on a new drainage system for his constituency will begin shortly after the completion of a 600ft well for the area.

Tease photo

‘We will hire more teachers’

EDUCATION Minister Glenys Hanna Martin said officials are in the process of hiring teachers as they seek to address shortages in critical areas in core subjects.


Tease photo

$48M OWED TO WSC AS IT TURNS OFF TAPS: Disconnections of delinquent accounts resume

THE Water & Sewerage Corporation has seen a $2m reduction in customer arrears since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, with monies owed to the company now said to be around $48m.

Convicted cannot be denied bail?

Greetings and thank you for this opportunity to release these several points of interest to scores of Bahamians, many of whom have had direct experiences relating to loved ones being murdered, or harmed by these brazen criminals, etc.

Tease photo

Climate conference at Baha Mar today

MORE than a dozen heads of state will gather at Baha Mar today for high-level dialogue on climate change for the Caribbean.


Tease photo

Three accused of robbery and theft

THREE men were arraigned in Magistrate’s Court yesterday on separate charges of armed robbery and housebreaking.

Tease photo

Man accused of sex with 12-year-old

A MAN has been accused of having sex with a girl 11  times over almost a year when she was aged 12 and then 13 years old.

Concerns at development

I have just invested almost two hours on my computer, “participating” in a town meeting about the 4 ‘skyscrapers’ that are planned for construction in Lyford Cay.


Tease photo

Man testifies over argument with officer

A MAN gave testimony in Magistrate’s Court yesterday in his continuing trial for allegedly threatening to kill a police officer with a gun after an argument in traffic near Baillou Hill Road.

Tease photo

Attempted murder charge

A MAN accused of attempted murder was remanded to the Bahamas Department of Correctional Services by a Magistrate’s Court yesterday.