WORLD VIEW: The rejection of military aggression - a CARICOM achievement
CARICOM states led the way in the Organization of American States (OAS) on April 21, 2022 in an historic vote to suspend the status of the Russian Federation as a Permanent Observer to the Organization.
THE KDK REPORT: The sound of silence
ALL musicians, spanning the breadth of history, can attest to the fact that music has the power to heal. There is a song for every heartache and one for every celebration. No matter the genre, every melody, chord, tune, lyric and sound is capable of touching the soul and jarring or soothing our every emotion.
INSIGHT: Blood on our streets
KEVIN Andrews was reportedly standing at a fruit and vegetable stall in Gamble Heights when he was shot and killed on Thursday.
EDITORIAL: Do words match the reality of crime levels?
THERE is a childhood song that goes “One of these things is not like the other…”
Mitchell: US crime warning has not affected tourism product
AFTER the US Embassy in Nassau issued a recent security alert for Americans in The Bahamas, Foreign Affairs Minister Fred Mitchell said it has not affected the tourism product. However, he said, the Bahamas government is working to get on top of the crime issue.
Union: Heastie departure from role at BPL was ‘late coming’
THE president of the union representing staff at Bahamas Power and Light said he thinks the recent resignations of BPL CEO Whitney Heastie and Director of Human Resources Evis Missick had been “a bit late coming,” adding workers were “disrespected” for too long.
Small repairs on 2,500 homes ‘soon’
URBAN Renewal is expected to soon start small home repairs on about 2,500 homes in the northern Bahamas. Deputy director of Urban Renewal Senator Kirkland Russell said Urban Renewal Revitalisation will enhance several areas to improve the lives and bring relief to residents of the northern Bahamas.
Gov’ts $40m property tax arrears in ‘22 goal
The Government is on track to collect $40m in real property tax arrears in 2022, a top official has revealed, while pledging that there have been “lessons learned” from the recent New Providence-wide revaluation.
Tourism chief urges ‘all hands on deck’ to combat crime
A senior hotelier is calling for an “all hands on deck” approach to combating crime given that it poses “a major risk” to The Bahamas’ continued post-COVID tourism and economic recovery if not controlled.
Data breach hits Sebas’ ‘Amazon’
Sebas Bastian’s regional e-commerce platform yesterday revealed it has been hit by a data breach that “compromised” the credit card information of Bahamians and other nationalities across the Caribbean and Latin America.
Bahamas bond prices ‘don’t reflect investor confidence’
The Ministry of Finance’s top official is asserting that this nation’s bond prices “don’t reflect the confidence investors have in The Bahamas” and “a benchmark issue” may be needed to help address this.
Billionaire sues on $100k Atlantis COVID ‘windfall’
A billionaire US property developer is suing Atlantis, its owner and American Express over “an improper windfall” totalling $100,000 after he was forced to leave his yacht in the resort’s marina due to the COVID-19 lockdown.
Crypto Thieves
ActivTrades
FTX and SALT will jointly present a new event, Crypto Bahamas, that will debut this week from April 26-29 at the Baha Mar resort in Nassau. The invitation-only event will feature collaboration and networking among leading investors and builders in the digital assets industry.
‘Explain Moncur appointment’
THE Davis administration must explain what qualifies Rodney Moncur for a role as consultant in the Ministry of National Security, Free National Movement St Barnabas MP and Shadow Minister for National Security Shanendon Cartwright said yesterday.
Officials monitoring ‘slight increase’ in cases of COVID
OFFICIALS at the Ministry of Health and Wellness are monitoring the “slight increase” in positive COVID-19 cases over the past few days and will be discussing ongoing concerns about the pandemic at an upcoming meeting this week.
Osborne: I have been without a job since minister’s allegations
DARNELL Osborne says she has not found suitable employment and has been “without a job and benefits” since former Works Minister Desmond Bannister made damning allegations about her in 2018.
‘SECRET PAYMENTS’ TO FORCE SARKIS OUT: Claim Baha Mar contractor gave money to government officials and their associates
Sarkis Izmirlian is alleging that Baha Mar’s contractor make secret payments to unnamed “government officials, their family and associates” as part of a scheme to force him out from the multi-billion dollar development.
YES Giants are NPBA Div. II champions
AFTER leaving his Your Essential Store (YES) Giants with a 2-0 lead in their New Providence Basketball Association men’s division II championship series, coach Mark Hanna said he was disappointed to come back and see that the Sun Oil Rockets pulled even at 2-2.




