BISX-listed firm 'bullish' on $1.2m travel investment
A BISX-listed company yesterday said it remains “bullish” on a $1.2m travel agency investment that it believes can still target a Bahamian market worth up to $1bn post-COVID-19.Julian Brown, pictured, Benchmark (Bahamas) president and chief executive
'Safety over money' for entertainment centres
Entertainment centres yesterday pledged to prioritise “safety over making money” when it came to re-opening in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Chris Mortimer, president of Galleria Cinemas, told Tribune Business: “We have to err on the side of ca
Strategies to thrive in our 'new normal'
I believe the greatest challenge lies in determining where we should focus the Bahamian economy so that it can thrive in the "new normal" that will emerge once the COVID-19 pandemic has passed. My concern is not only the negative impact on tourism, o
Out Island resorts focusing on health
Family Island resorts yesterday said they are developing the necessary health and sanitary protocols to put guests at ease over returning once the COVID-19 pandemic has ended.Carl Rolle, manager of Rollezz Villas Beach Resort on Cat Island, told Trib
Opposition slams Europe's 'outrageous' blacklist threat
The opposition’s deputy leader yesterday slammed the “outrageous” blacklisting of The Bahamas’ by the European Commission as he urged the government to stop “kowtowing” in the face of such threats. Chester Cooper, responding to reports that the comm
Bahamian investors 'cover' oil explorer's licence fees deal
Some $900,000 raised from Bahamian investors will “adequately cover” the agreement reached by an oil explorer with the Minnis administration over outstanding licence fees.Bahamas Petroleum Company (BPC), in a statement to the markets, said the BPC In
EU blacklists over money laundering
The Attorney General yesterday said it was "especially distressing" that Europe appears to have ignored The Bahamas' "herculean efforts" in preparing to again blacklist this nation.
"Tell Europe that enough is enough"
The Bahamas was yesterday urged to tell Europe “enough is enough”, with a former attorney general arguing it is wielding “blacklisting” as a tool to drive this nation out of financial services.Alfred Sears QC, responding after it was revealed that th
Restrictions halt bank's $20m in outflow deals
RoyalFidelity’s president yesterday praised the Central Bank for “trying to get ahead” of foreign reserves stress via measures that will curtail $20m in outflows facilitated by the merchant bank last year.Michael Anderson told Tribune Business that t
Bahamas faces 'IMF programme by 2021'
The Bahamas will be in an International Monetary Fund (IMF) adjustment programme by 2021 due to a “balance of payments crisis”, a noted Caribbean economist predicted yesterday.Marla Dukharan, formerly Royal Bank of Canada’s (RBC) top regional economi
Web shops back with curb-side, drive through
Numerous Bahamian web shop locations have resumed business via drive through and curb-side services following the government’s easing of the nationwide COVID-19 lockdown. Much of the domestic gaming industry has joined other sectors of the economy i
Food retailers 'bracing' for US chain disruption
Bahamian food retailers yesterday said they were “bracing” for possible supply chain shortages and disruption in the US, and starting to seek out alternative product sources. Bradley Rolle, Centreville Food Store’s general manager, told Tribune Busi
NIB jobless benefit payouts near $17m
The National Insurance Board (NIB) has paid out almost $17m in unemployment benefits to over 20,000 claimants, its director said yesterday. Dr Nicola Virgil-Rolle told Tribune Business: “As of last week Thursday afternoon it was 20,672 persons paid
Airbnb unveils its online Mother's Day Experience
Airbnb yesterday said it has developed a collection of Online Experiences to help celebrate Mother’s Day this Sunday. The vacation rental platform said Online Experiences offers gift ideas taught by expert hosts, including songwriting with a Nashvil
Merchant: Absence of e-commerce no barrier
Some merchants able to offer delivery and pick-up services yesterday argued that the absence of an e-commerce platform is not hindering their return to business following the six-week lockdown. Anwar Knowles, Variety Disposable Products’ assistant g


