0

Govt to buy 15 new ambulances for PMH and Rand

Ambulances sit in the National Emergency Medical Services (NEMS) parking lot on Thompson Blvd.

Ambulances sit in the National Emergency Medical Services (NEMS) parking lot on Thompson Blvd.

By KEILE CAMPBELL


Tribune Staff Reporter


kcampbell@tribunemedia.net

THE government plans to acquire about 15 new ambulances for Princess Margaret Hospital and Rand Memorial Hospital, Health Minister Dr Michael Darville said yesterday, as officials move to stabilise emergency response following operational problems.

He said the vehicles are being sourced from an overseas vendor but could not say where the procurement process stands.

Dr Darville said recent disruptions at the two hospitals were not caused by too few ambulances but by delays transferring patients off stretcher systems inside the vehicles.

“It was because the stretchers that are in the ambulance that carry the patient, we were so swamped that we could not take them off the stretcher, but that is being resolved, and I think we are back to normal as we speak,” he said.

He estimated new ambulances typically cost between $150,000 and $180,000.

“Ambulances are very expensive, brand new ambulances. You can’t find an ambulance below 150,000 — some go as much as 180,000,” he said.

The incoming units will be larger models intended for New Providence and Grand Bahama. Previously acquired vehicles are being deployed across the Family Islands through the emergency medical technician programme.

“The ambulances that are being procured for the PHA and the Rand Memorial Hospital is a larger version that we believe is best suited for Grand Bahama and New Providence.”

Several islands already have units, including three in Andros and others in Cat Island, Long Island and Bimini, with additional services expected once trainees complete certification.

“We are about to activate that EMT service as a result of our graduates from the EMT programme, from the PHA Academy,” he said.

Separately, ambulances provided under the Bahamas Aviation, Climate and Severe Weather Network (BACSWN) $427million Heads of Agreement will expand EMS pre-hospital care and dedicated aviation medical services in Nassau and throughout the Family Islands once the memorandum of understanding is signed with the PHA and the Department of Public Health. These are highly specialised in catering to EMS services for aviation-related incidents, costing $300,000-plus each.

“I believe we have a meeting this week with them to look at the MOU and how this will play out,” he said. “But that’s another avenue where the residents in the southern Bahamas will have access to quality EMT services, along with my EMT programme, making it reasonable for our residents not to go through the trauma being placed on a back of a vehicle.”

Michael Strachan, BACSWN’s chief operating officer, said the agreement is nearly complete.

“We’re currently in the final stages of the MOU being done and signed,” Mr Strachan said. “We expect that to be done before the week is out.”

He said once approvals are completed, deployment will begin quickly.

“So once all of the relevant agreements are signed with the Department of Public Health, Public Hospitals Authority and Bahamas First Alert project management company — which is a joint venture between the government of The Bahamas and BACSWN, those ambulances are going to be deployed,” he said.

“We expect the estimated deployment of those ambulances to be fully first areas should be by March 15.”




Comments

Sickened 22 hours, 52 minutes ago

Is Darville able to say which PLP is going to be the middle man in this procurement deal (assuming there is only one of course - there may be a few so this close to elections).

realfreethinker 20 hours, 46 minutes ago

Also ask him when will PHA pay their vendors. Please and thank you

rosiepi 18 hours, 27 minutes ago

The Minister knows that fully equipped ambulances and/or EMS trucks from the EU start at $120,000 for the teeny weeny ones he’d previously ordered from Spain that aren’t equipped to accommodate folks at 200+ pounds, nor will have the complete ER medical systems needed.

Those from China are cheaper but certainly will not, nor are they up to our required usage of 24/7. Also they’re harder to maintain/keep on the road since we’ve no ready source for parts.

And delivery by March? When they’ve obviously not paid for them yet? Please! These trucks have to medically equipped after one pays for the trucks!

bahamianson 12 hours, 47 minutes ago

Let us not forget the many ambulances they bought and couldn’t use. Go on Thompson’s blvd next to the oaks field monument and count the ambulances they bought. Who signed off on the purchases of wasted tax payers money? No one got fired . This is pathetic.

Sign in to comment