Taxi Cab Union threatens industrial action over unresolved airport dispute

Bahamas Taxi Cab Union president Tyrone Butler speaks to reporters during a demonstration in front of Margaritaville downtown on October 21, 2025. Photo: Dante Carrer/Tribune Staff

Bahamas Taxi Cab Union president Tyrone Butler speaks to reporters during a demonstration in front of Margaritaville downtown on October 21, 2025. Photo: Dante Carrer/Tribune Staff

By KEILE CAMPBELL

Tribune Staff Reporter

kcampbell@tribunemedia.net

THE Bahamas Taxi Cab Union has declared it has lost confidence in the Davis administration’s handling of a longstanding dispute at Lynden Pindling International Airport and warned that industrial action could be looming after an agreement it says was reached with senior officials was not implemented.

Union president Tyrone Butler said further meetings with the ministers responsible for transport and tourism appeared pointless after repeated discussions failed to resolve the dispute over taxi and livery operations at the airport.

“I don't see any way of resolving this matter without any kind of industrial action,” Mr Butler said.

He declined to say what form the action could take or when it might begin, saying the union would first consult its members, supporters and Trade Union Congress leadership.

TUC president Obie Ferguson, KC, pledged the Congress’ support and urged taxi drivers, including non-union drivers, to follow Mr Butler’s instructions if collective action is announced.

“When the president says go, then everybody got to go,” Mr Ferguson said. “If you’re not a member of the union, come when you are called and help it to become a reality.”

The union said it reached an agreement last Wednesday with tourism and transport officials to separate taxi and livery operations at LPIA for a two-week trial beginning Monday.

Under the arrangement described by the union, taxi drivers were to be the only drivers stationed at the arrivals door, while three livery vehicles would be allowed in the commercial lane behind the taxi line.

Mr Butler said the arrangement was not implemented and livery drivers apparently were not informed of it, contributing to a disruption at the airport on Monday.

He said livery drivers arrived unaware of the agreement and attempted to block the commercial lane used by public-service drivers to collect passengers. Nassau Airport Development Company subsequently called police, resulting in what he described as a “big spectacle” that was wrongly portrayed as a confrontation between taxi and livery drivers.

Mr Ferguson, who attended the meeting where the arrangement was discussed, supported Mr Butler’s account.

“When I walked away from there, I was told Monday morning, bright and early, the deal we struck will come into effect,” he said, “and it will be on a temporary basis for a period of two weeks.”

The union circulated an email Mr Butler sent to Transport Minister Leon Lundy last Sunday outlining what it says had been agreed.

According to the email, taxi drivers were to be the only persons “on the door” from August 10, with livery drivers no longer permitted to stand beside them. Three livery vehicles were instead to be allowed in the commercial lane behind the third taxi in the line-up.

The pick-up area near the rental car location was to remain available to all drivers with prearranged passengers, while livery drivers would use the area only for pick-ups. Road Traffic officials were also expected to be stationed at LPIA from Monday.

However, the email indicated that the BTCU had received no government communication confirming implementation of the arrangement.

Mr Butler said he and Mr Ferguson met with two ministers, two permanent secretaries and the acting controller of Road Traffic, yet no official had publicly confirmed the contents of the email.

He directed some of his strongest criticism at Mr Lundy, accusing the transport minister of acting as a “bargaining agent” and “spokesman” for livery drivers.

“These gentlemen seem to have the ear of the Minister of Transport,” Mr Butler said. “When we speak to him, he doesn't seem to be balanced.”

“Every time we put a proposal to him,” he said, “he's counteracting it as if he is a livery driver.”

Mr Butler said the union has met Mr Lundy seven times since his appointment and Tourism Minister Glenys Hanna Martin three times but has not resolved a single item on its agenda.

He said the union now sees little value in continued meetings with government officials.

“We cannot continue to be talking to government officials who have no ability to affect change, particularly the Minister of Transport,” Mr Butler said.

He also called on Prime Minister Philip “Brave” Davis to replace Mr Lundy.

“Surely he can find somebody better than that to become the minister of transport,” Mr Butler said, “who has the ability to affect the change that is needed in this transportation industry.”

The union maintains that existing transportation laws reserve the arrivals-door taxi stand at LPIA for taxi drivers and do not permit livery operators to solicit walk-up passengers there. However, the specific statutory provision supporting that position was not identified during the press conference.

Mr Butler said the union does not oppose prearranged luxury transportation but objects to livery drivers competing for passengers beside the taxi line. He alleged that some livery drivers solicit walk-up passengers and undercut regulated taxi fares because their charges are not fixed.

He also criticised the use of the term “black car service”, arguing that no transportation franchise by that name exists in Bahamian law, although he said the union would not oppose legislative changes formally recognising and regulating livery services.


The dispute also extends to Atlantis, where Mr Butler said the union has concerns about livery operations at Royal Towers and The Cove. He claimed the resort had not responded to a letter sent several months ago and said Atlantis would be included in the union’s next course of action.

Asked about the possible effect of industrial action on tourism, Mr Butler placed responsibility on the Davis administration.

“That’s a question you should have asked the prime minister, the minister of tourism, and the minister of transport,” he said. “They should be the first ones thinking about the tourists.”

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment