Suspect faces rape charges after viral voice recordings

By PAVEL BAILEY

Tribune Staff Reporter

pbailey@tribunemedia.net

A MAN accused of raping an 18-year-old woman twice in New Providence last weekend was remanded to prison yesterday.

The case comes after disturbing voice notes purportedly connected to the alleged incident went viral online.

Prosecutors allege Romeo Storr Jr, 26, raped the woman twice on August 14.

Police confirmed on Monday that the recordings were under investigation and that a person was in custody assisting with the probe.

The case concerns an 18-year-old woman who told police she was sexually assaulted after losing consciousness while travelling with a male driver and two other passengers shortly after 4am on Friday.

Police said the driver dropped off the other two passengers and that the woman lost consciousness at one of the stops. She told investigators she regained consciousness sometime after 6am and was told by the driver that she was home.

After leaving the vehicle, police said, she realised she had been sexually assaulted and reported the matter.

The investigation attracted widespread attention after a recording circulated online in which a man appeared to describe the encounter in graphic terms in a Facebook Messenger voice note sent to a female friend.

In the recording, the man said he had been riding with the woman and noticed that she appeared to have blacked out. He said he drove her to Montagu Beach, where she asked to be taken home, before later driving her to a school parking lot off Bernard Road.

Storr appeared calm and dressed in dark clothing during his arraignment in Magistrate’s Court yesterday morning.

He was not required to enter a plea to two counts of rape before Acting Chief Magistrate Ancella Evans.

Storr was informed that the case would proceed to the Supreme Court by voluntary bill of indictment (VBI) and that he had the right to apply to the higher court for bail.

He was remanded to the Bahamas Department of Correctional Services until February 4, 2027, when he is expected to be served with the VBI.

Before being taken into custody, Storr was allowed a moment with his mother in court.

Corporal Moultrie prosecuted the case. Tai Pinder-Mackey represented Storr.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.