Death toll now 61 - as more missing people named
POLICE recovered the body of a man in the Pigeon Peas community on Abaco yesterday, bringing the official death toll from Hurricane Dorian to 61.
Neglected: Residents of East End ‘still waiting’
THE massive destruction wrought by Hurricane Dorian a month ago is still visible in various East End settlements where some residents say they feel neglected and are eager for major debris removal to start in their storm-torn communities.
Govt may pay squatters for land acquisition
ATTORNEY General Carl Bethel says squatters may be entitled to compensation when the government compulsorily acquires land that once housed Abaco’s shanty towns if they satisfy the law’s stringent requirements.
Ash denies claims of police bid to ‘synchronise’ Gibson testimony
A BUSINESSMAN yesterday denied assertions that a police officer had previously arranged for him and a woman connected to former Cabinet minister Shane Gibson to “synchronise” their statements against the former parliamentarian.
Robbery suspect shot dead by police
POLICE in New Providence are investigating the circumstances surrounding an officer-involved shooting that left a suspected armed robber dead yesterday.
Patricia Minnis to launch mentoring for girls
WHILE celebrating the International Day of the Girl Child, Patricia Minnis, the wife of Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis, will launch a women and girls mentoring coalition next week. In 2011, the United Nations declared October 11 as the Internationa
Two men saved as vessel capsizes
THE Royal Bahamas Defence Force’s Harbour Patrol Unit yesterday confirmed the rescue of two men last week after their vessel capsized in waters near New Providence.
Police give advice after spate of armed robberies
AFTER a spate of recent armed robberies in the capital, Superintendent Shanta Knowles urged residents and business owners to be vigilant and to take all necessary precautions to remain safe.Supt Knowles encouraged business owners to secure their prop
Activists claim government using hurricane to get rid of Haitians
RIGHTS Bahamas said the government’s policy of using the excuse of Hurricane Dorian to “ethnically cleanse the country of Haitian people” whether they have broken the law or not is “brutal” and “illegal.”In a statement released yesterday, the advocac
Bahamians 'not given proper gear' to deal with Equinor spill
A human rights activist claims that Bahamians working to clean up the oil spill at the Equinor facility in Grand Bahama are not being provided with the proper hazmat gear as the foreign crew, leaving them exposed to dangerous toxic chemicals.Joseph D
Albury 'rode it out just like everyone else'
CENTRAL and South Abaco MP James Albury said he rode out Hurricane Dorian in a house on Abaco. “I was in a house riding it out just like everyone else, the same exact position,” he said in the House of Assembly yesterday, responding to heckling from
Social Services teams go to hurricane zones
TWO additional teams from the Department of Social Services departed New Providence on Sunday for Abaco and Grand Bahama to assist with relief operations in the two areas of the Northern Bahamas most affected by Hurricane, Dorian. The teams relieved
Five more missing people identified in storm search
POLICE released the identities and photos of five more residents of Grand Bahama who have not been seen or heard from since the passage of Hurricane Dorian a month ago. The missing High Rock residents – including a six-year-old boy – all lived at Emm
Majority of $100m loan to be spent on electricity restoration and welfare
THE government will spend the lion’s share of its $100m Inter-American Development Bank loan on electricity restoration and enhanced social welfare measures, according to Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis yesterday.


