Local News

Subscribe

Tease photo

‘Savage’ response by govt to migrants

RIGHTS Bahamas criticised the government’s “savage and cold-hearted” position on displaced Hurricane Dorian migrant victims, pledging yesterday to alert international human rights groups to the policy.

Tease photo

Abaco ‘has no law’ say residents

SOME Abaco residents trying to rebuild their lives after Hurricane Dorian’s destruction say their worries are compounded by continued incidents of looting and theft.

850 displaced students placed in New Providence

WITH Grand Bahama schools expected to open in a matter of weeks, Education Director Marcellus Taylor confirmed yesterday that 850 displaced students have already been registered and placed throughout schools in New Providence. Mr Taylor said the min

Tease photo

THREE ACCUSED OF ROBBERY WITH VIOLENCE IN FREEPORT

THREE Freeport men were charged with robbery with violence in the Freeport Magistrate’s Court yesterday.Sterling Christie Jr, 20, of Nelson Road; Bradley Curry, 24, of Pine Tree Close; and Tyreke Mallory, 26, of Scott Avenue, appeared before Magistra

United Nations gives $1m to hurricane recovery

PRIME Minister Dr Hubert Minnis welcomed an announcement by the United Nations Development Programme that it will contribute $1m for Hurricane Dorian recovery efforts in The Bahamas.

Tease photo

Attempted murder suspect granted bail ahead of trial

A 24-year-old man has been granted bail before his trial alleging that he tried to kill a woman five months ago.

Tease photo

UB students welcomed at Hampton

IT’S been four weeks since Hurricane Dorian pummeled the islands of Abaco and Grand Bahama, and many hurricane victims are trying to get back to a normal routine.

Tease photo

Cooper blasts govt over hurricane response

PROGRESSIVE Liberal Party Deputy Leader Chester Cooper attacked the Minnis administration’s response to Hurricane Dorian yesterday at a constituency branch meeting.

Tease photo

Turnquest: PLP should help fix things, not just criticise

AS the government forges ahead with plans to restore storm-ravaged islands, Deputy Prime Minister Peter Turnquest said the country would be better served if the official opposition made contributions on fixing issues rather than criticising efforts.

Hurricane survivors warned of risk of sex abuse

A LOCAL non-profit group is calling for increased awareness of the potential impact of Hurricane Dorian on those who are most vulnerable to the threat of sexual abuse and violence.

Tease photo

Another body found in Abaco

MARSH HARBOUR - OFFICIALS in Abaco recovered human remains on Tuesday from a portion of the Pigeon Peas shanty town, after the discovery was made by workers of a company contracted to clean up the area.

Tease photo

Attorney General tells migrants who lost jobs in storm to leave country

MIGRANT storm victims who have lost their jobs as a result of Hurricane Dorian “need to go home” even if their work permits are not yet expired, Attorney General Carl Bethel said yesterday.

$6m dome shelter for Abaco refugees

THE government will spend $6 million to construct a “family relief centre” in Abaco that will feature dome housing structures capable of withstanding 180mph winds, according to shelter organiser John-Michael Clarke.

Tease photo

$100m loan to pay for utilities and shelters

THE $100m Inter-American Development Bank loan contingency that was activated following Hurricane Dorian will fund the restoration of public utilities and ensure the construction of temporary shelters on affected islands, Finance Minister Peter Turnquest explained yesterday.

Tease photo

No jail time for doctor caught with marijuana

A BAHAMIAN doctor has been granted a conditional discharge for being caught with almost 10 ounces of marijuana in his residence earlier this year.