Local News

Subscribe

New school bags for 600 Grand Bahama children

SOME 600 young people here in Grand Bahama will receive new school book bags, thanks to a generous donation from the Edwards family, the founders of 242Giveback America.This is the third year that Jason and Vernetta Edwards have donated boxes of back

Tease photo

UPDATED: Load shedding back after daytime reprieve

NEW Providence residents and businesses got a temporary reprieve from power woes Tuesday as Bahamas Power & Light avoided load shedding throughout the day.

Tease photo

Homeowners to be paid to take in university students

THE University of The Bahamas has enacted Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis’ vision of paying rent to homeowners who accommodate university students in their homes, UB president Dr Rodney Smith said yesterday.During his budget communication in June and

Tease photo

Power cuts hit children's centre

CANCELLED therapy sessions, frustrated clients, and autistic children who have their crucial routines disrupted — these are effects of Bahamas Power and Light’s consistent load-shedding exercises that Carla Gibson experiences every day.Ms Gibson is t

Tease photo

Poachers threat to economy

MINISTER of Agriculture and Marine Resources Michael Pintard expects to meet with officials in the Dominican Republic in a matter of weeks to address the serious issue of illegal poaching by Dominicans in Bahamian waters.

Tease photo

Two dead, one injured in Pinewood Gardens shooting

Two men were killed and a woman was injured after a shooting incident in Pinewood Gardens on Monday night.

Tease photo

‘BPL’s neglect will be fixed’

PRIME Minister Dr Hubert Minnis said Bahamas Power and Light’s woes constitute an “emergency situation” and blamed this on “more than 20 years of neglect”.

Tease photo

‘Schools will just have to manage’

THE frequent power cuts carried out by Bahamas Power and Light can have a “negative effect” on schools once they reopen in a few weeks, according to Minister of Education Jeff Lloyd.

Tease photo

US trio give up $27k to walk free

THREE Americans were spared a criminal conviction yesterday despite admitting to making a false declaration concerning $27,000 in cash when they tried to leave the country on the weekend.

Tease photo

Sands’ plan for major new hospital

HEALTH Minister Dr Duane Sands is eyeing a multi-million dollar transformation for public health that would see the government embark on a public-private partnership to lease-to-own new health facilities over a 20-year period.

Tease photo

Man accused of scamming $40,000 from bank accounts

A 25-year-old man was remanded to prison yesterday over allegations he stole over $40,000 cash from a woman’s two bank accounts as part of an online banking scam earlier this year. Andre Spence Jr denied allegations he stole $44,500 from Elizabeth L

Tease photo

Man jailed after admitting having drugs worth $111,000

A MAN was sentenced to almost two years in prison yesterday for admitting to being caught with over $100,000 worth of marijuana he planned to distribute to others last week. Acting Deputy Chief Magistrate Subusola Swain sentenced Christopher Mortime

Tease photo

Tabernacle taken in raid on church

THIEVES ransacked the St Cecilia Roman Catholic Church off Coconut Grove Avenue on Sunday night. The church’s tabernacle was among the items stolen. Robbers left mess strewn throughout the church after digging through draws and breaking the sanctua

Tease photo

Groper: Six years? Man, they don't like me in the prison

SERIAL groper Sidney Cooper was sentenced to six years in prison yesterday for grabbing a teenage girl’s buttocks and shoving her to the ground when she tried to retaliate.Magistrate Samuel McKinney sentenced the 43-year-old to six years for groping

13 Haitians held by immigration

IMMIGRATION officials apprehended 13 Haitians - seven males and six females - during an operation conducted by the Department of Immigration’s Enforcement Unit. Led by Chief Immigration Officer Harold Thurston, this operation commenced at approximat