Ministry caution on medicine containing Valsartan
IN the wake of expanded recalls, the Ministry of Health is purchasing and distributing medication that does not contain the ingredient Valsartan, which is found in several blood pressure medications, the ministry said in a press release yesterday.
Minister advises withdrawal of Del Monte “fiesta corn”
HEALTH Minister Dr Duane Sands is advising wholesalers and retailers to pull cans of recalled Del Monte “fiesta corn” from their shelves, noting there is “no way” anything can be done to “make the product safe”.
Dept of Immigration dress code sparks debate
THE Department of Immigration’s dress code has sparked public debate, with people divided over whether the rules are an example of old-fashioned beliefs and institutional misogyny while others see no issue with the standard.
Police recruits complete fire training
Thirty-four recruits completed fire training at the Police College in Freeport, making them the first Fire Squad to pass out in over a decade at the Royal Bahamas Police Force.
Man jailed for shopbreaking, stealing, and causing damage
Moses Storr, 35, was sentenced to four years and six months in prison after pleading guilty in the Freeport Magistrate’s Court on Friday to charges of shopbreaking, stealing, and causing damage.
Man held in connection with armed robbery
ONE man is in custody in connection with armed robbery and the recovery of an illegal firearm.
Wells confirms post office has been shredding mail
TRANSPORT and Local Government Minister Renward Wells confirmed yesterday that the General Post Office has been shredding mail, but said the exercise has been consistent with international standards. He characterised the mail that has been shredded as “undeliverable.”
SENSELESS: Father-of-three’s murder leaves families reeling
THE Coconut Grove community was left in shock and disbelief in the aftermath of the murder of Mario Cartwright, a husband and father of three small children who was shot unexpectedly as he entered a corner store on Wednesday.
Properly dressed or it’s ‘don’t come in’
PEOPLE must be “properly dressed” when they come to the government building, Immigration Minister Brent Symonette said yesterday in answer to reports that women have been turned away from the Department of Immigration for wearing shorts.
Former Cabinet Minister's killer has life sentence cut
ONE of three men convicted of the murder of former Free National Movement Cabinet minister Charles “Chuck” Virgil two decades ago has had his life sentence reduced by the Court of Appeal.
Confusion as school bus drivers sent termination letters
THE government has terminated contracts for dozens of Family Island school bus drivers but intends to rehire the contractors and give them better terms of employment, Minister of Education Jeffrey Lloyd said yesterday.
We are behind on cannabis reform, says Bishop Hall
BISHOP Simeon Hall yesterday acknowledged that the country was “behind” on consultation for cannabis reform, but noted he was still optimistic.
Bethel: There’s no rush for us to pass NPO Bill
THE stalled Non-Profit Organisations Bill 2018 is under no immediate pressure for passage, according to Attorney General Carl Bethel, who yesterday revealed the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) doesn’t call for a full implementation until September 2019.
Senate agrees Business Licence Amendment Bill
THE Senate has passed the Business Licence Amendment Bill 2018, aiding the Minnis administration’s push to repeal amendments it brought earlier this year.
Abaco group appeals Supreme Court order to pay $250,000 'security costs'
AN Abaco-based advocacy group is contesting a Supreme Court judge’s order for it to pay the government and a US-based developer a combined $250,000 in “security costs” ahead of the group’s judicial review of the proposed construction of a marina at the heart of a solar powered community.


