Local News

Subscribe

Tease photo

Archer right for job? Someone thought so

PRESS Secretary Anthony Newbold said he does not know what makes Omar Archer qualified to be the registrar of the Ministry of Works even as he insisted yesterday the controversial figure must have met the standards of the ministry. 

Tease photo

Back to where it all began for Commissioner

Police Commissioner Anthony Ferguson took a trip down memory lane last week making an official visit to his Alma Mater LN Coakley High School in his native Exuma. On his arrival at the school, Commissioner Ferguson was welcomed by staff and then tre

Tease photo

Two accused of immigration offences

A BAHAMIAN man and a Jamaican woman were charged in the Freeport Magistrate’s Court for breach of the Immigration Act and other separate offences including possession of fraudulent Immigration documents.Raphael Miller, 44, of Watergate Apartments, an

Tease photo

Bus drivers want delay of unified system

THE Bahamas Unified Bus Drivers Union yesterday requested the government delay the launch of the pilot programme of the unified bus system.The union noted in a statement it considers the current pilot project inadequate and old fashioned and called o

Tease photo

Outcry from students as Bimini teacher relocated

HIGH school students in Bimini protested yesterday over the reported reassignment of a science teacher.Multiple students at the Louise McDonald High School (LMHS) yesterday walked out of their classrooms in protest over a decision by the Ministry of

Tease photo

Security guard: I saw man hit woman twice on head

A Paradise Island-based security guard yesterday testified how he witnessed a male Atlantis employee slam a woman on her head two consecutive times over a parking dispute and said the man would have done so a third time had he not intervened.Antonio

Tease photo

Davis wants answers over Sands and Osborne posts

THE Minnis administration “must come clean” over the circumstances which led to the resignations of both Leonard Sands and Darnell Osborne, said Progressive Liberal Party Leader Philip “Brave” Davis.Addressing the surprising resignation of Mr Sands f

Tease photo

Brother and sister accused of overstaying in country

TWO Haitian nationals - a brother and sister – were charged in Grand Bahama with breach of the Immigration Act after they allegedly overstayed their time in the country by almost a year. Bydarck Edouard Mathieu, 23, and Marie Edouard Mathieu, 29, ap

Tease photo

Robbers injured as victims fight back

TWO armed robbers were seriously injured and left in hospital following a foiled home invasion and attempted robbery at a residence in Freeport.According to police reports, officers were called shortly after 1am Tuesday to a residence on Waterfall Dr

Tease photo

PLP announces convention to be held next month

THE Progressive Liberal Party will hold its next convention from November 14 to 16.

Tease photo

'Stop drinking and texting while driving'

TRANSPORT Minister Renward Wells yesterday said the decision to amend the Road Traffic Act to make it illegal to drive or operate a vehicle while using a cell phone, or with an open alcoholic beverage is related to the “increase” in traffic fatalitie

Tease photo

Thompson confident of Grand Lucayan sale

GRAND Bahama State Minister Senator Kwasi Thompson revealed that there is “high interest” from prospective buyers to purchase the Grand Lucayan resort property in Grand Bahama.

Tease photo

VIDEO: We’re going to need a BIG dustpan

“The end of an era” was how some onlookers described yesterday’s structural demolition of the former Crystal Palace Resort and Casino.

Tease photo

NOT FIT TO SAIL: 4C’s home-built boat never inspected; First mate in disaster was owner’s 12-year-old son

THE Exuma tour company involved in a deadly boat explosion that killed a woman and injured ten others in June broke the law by operating a boat that was neither registered nor ever inspected by the Port Authority, the Bahamas Maritime Authority revealed yesterday.

Tease photo

Water board starts turn-off offensive

THE WATER and Sewerage Corporation yesterday commenced a mass disconnection of delinquent accounts across the country, with thousands expected to be affected.