Local News

Subscribe

Tease photo

Three Chinese men, one Haitian man apprehended by immigration officials

THREE Chinese nationals and a Haitian national were apprehended by immigration officials at an apartment in the Freeport area on Wednesday.

Tease photo

Fred Mitchell: Released Cuban men 'trying to enter US illegally'

THE two Cuban men who were released from prison last week under a Supreme Court Justice’s order are believed to be attempting to illegally enter the United States, according to the Department of Immigration.

Tease photo

Minister: Tribune columnist 'irresponsible' over imprisoned Bahamian pilot article

IMMIGRATION and Foreign Affairs Minister Fred Mitchell has branded Tribune columnist Adrian Gibson as “irresponsible,” and denied allegations concerning money for bribes being passed through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to assist a Bahamian pilot detained in Haiti.

Tease photo

Four Cuban migrants detained

FOUR Cuban migrants were brought to Grand Bahama after US Coast Guard officials spotted them onboard a rustic vessel near the Cal Sal Bank this week, an immigration official reported on Friday.

Cruise ship visitor 'drowns while snorkelling'

A cruise ship visitor reportedly drowned while snorkeling at Paradise Cove in West Grand Bahama on Friday.

Tease photo

Fred Smith: Jail or fine for violating bail 'completely unconstitutional'

GRAND Bahama Human Rights Association President Fred Smith, QC, said it is “completely unconstitutional” to jail or fine someone for failing to abide by their bail conditions and the GBRA is prepared to represent anyone who the courts attempt to “illegally” penalise.

Tease photo

Pair convicted of role in death avoid maximum penalties

TWO men convicted of playing a role in the death of a former Ocean Club employee who was killed during a failed robbery did not receive the maximum penalties of imprisonment requested by the widow of the victim.

Tease photo

Teens charged with murder of student have case fast-tracked to Supreme Court

THREE teens charged with the murder of a 12th grade Doris Johnson Senior High School student had their case fast-tracked to the Supreme Court on Thursday.

Tease photo

Mitchell says Amnesty accepted abuse allegations ‘uncritically’

ALTHOUGH immigration officials are still examining Amnesty International’s 2015 report into the state of human rights in this country, Foreign Affairs and Immigration Minister Fred Mitchell said the organisation appears to have uncritically accepted allegations of abuse.

Roker says Cuban case a ‘failure across the board’

FORMER Immigration Minister Loftus Roker yesterday said the Christie administration was “not diligent” enough in its handling of two Cuban men imprisoned for nearly three years without ever being brought to court, adding that the matter was “a failure across the board.”

Tease photo

Man guilty of manslaughter of woman feeding baby

A MAN was convicted of manslaughter yesterday by a Supreme Court jury for his involvement in the fatal attempted carjacking of a woman who was breastfeeding her baby six years ago.

Tease photo

Minnis not surprised by ‘gutter politics’ from Gray

FREE National Movement Leader Dr Hubert Minnis said yesterday “he was not surprised” at MICAL MP V Alfred Gray’s “attack” on Fort Charlotte MP Dr Andre Rollins, because Mr Gray is a “gutter politician trying to defend the indefensible”.

Tease photo

FNM to hold convention by end of November

THE Free National Movement Central Council has unanimously voted to hold a full convention no later than November 30, ending speculation on whether the party would contravene its own constitution and not hold a convention by the end of the year.

Tease photo

Judge rules Rufa can stay until verdict of judicial review

CANADIAN Bruno Rufa will be able to remain in the Bahamas until April 4 when the Supreme Court is expected to deliver its ruling in the judicial review into a decision made by the Department of Immigration to revoke his 150-day stay in the country.

Tease photo

Wanted alert for Cuban men

THE Immigration Department wants to apprehend two Cuban men who have no legal status in The Bahamas, but who were released from prison under a Supreme Court justice’s order last week, Immigration Director William Pratt said yesterday.