Local News

Subscribe

Tease photo

Chef died at his own birthday celebration

THE entire community of Green Turtle Cay is saddened over the sudden death of beloved chef Dominic Lloyd, who was celebrating his 40th birthday with friends at a party on Friday when he collapsed and died unexpectedly in Abaco.

Tease photo

Reaching out hands around New Providence

BAHAMAS Against Crime Executive Director C B Moss yesterday announced the expansion of his organisation’s “Hands Around Bain and Grant’s Town” project to an island-wide initiative.

Tease photo

Govt hopes to vote on gender bills on March 2

AFTER years of delay, the Christie administration is aiming to have a parliamentary vote on its Constitutional Amendment Bills on gender equality on March 2, with the referendum slated to take place this summer, The Tribune was told.

Tease photo

Union doubts priorities in university transition

UNION of Tertiary Educators of the Bahamas President Mark Humes yesterday questioned the government’s “priorities” regarding The College of The Bahamas’ transition to university status, explaining that money spent on new capital works could go towards fixing existing infrastructure issues or faculty.

Tease photo

Delaying convention for gender referendum ‘sounds like an excuse’

PROGRESSIVE Liberal Party stalwart and former Cabinet minister George Smith said Bahamians deserve a better explanation from PLP officials as to why it has postponed its convention until November of this year, a date that will be close to the 2017 general election.

Tease photo

Thieves steal car with baby inside

POLICE are on the hunt for the person or persons responsible for stealing a Honda Terino late Sunday night with a six-month-old baby strapped in the backseat.

Tease photo

CALL TO MAKE PUBLIC ALL DOCUMENTS IN CUBAN CASE

FREE National Movement Chairman Michael Pintard yesterday urged Foreign Affairs and Immigration Minister Fred Mitchell to clarify why he was seeking to grant asylum in The Bahamas for two Cuban men he now regards as “national security risks”.

Tease photo

Baha Mar: What did govt know?

THE Free National Movement has called on Prime Minister Perry Christie to “be transparent” and reveal whether his administration was aware that the $3.5 billion Baha Mar resort was likely to miss its March 2015 opening deadline.

Tease photo

Two arrested over murder of man found wounded in street

POLICE arrested a man and a woman yesterday morning in connection with the beating death of a man over the weekend.

Police seize gun thrown from car

POLICE seized a firearm that was thrown from a car after suspects led officers on a chase in the Blue Hill Road area.

Tease photo

Accounts committee report on Urban Renewal is complete

PUBLIC Accounts Committee Chairman Hubert Chipman has said the group’s investigation into Urban Renewal 2.0 revealed that the programme is no different from any other government entity where “there are things that need to be fixed”.

Tease photo

Former College principal Dr Donald Knowles dies

DR Donald Knowles, 80, first principal of the College of the Bahamas, died of a massive heart attack at the Princess Margaret Hospital at 4pm Thursday.

Torchbearer fears victimisation after row

FREE National Movement Torchbearers Association third vice-president Richard Johnson yesterday said he fears he will be victimised for the part he played in “disrupting” last week’s TYA meeting while others go unpunished.

Tease photo

Jury hears closing arguments for triple murder trial

A JURY yesterday listened to three hours of closing arguments from Crown and defence counsel on whether two accused men were the shooters behind the gruesome execution of three persons, including a woman due to give birth to a baby boy.

Tease photo

Two men admit robbery with cutlass of American tourist in 2010

TWO men pleaded guilty in the Supreme Court yesterday to the cutlass attack and robbery of an American visitor who had bought drugs from them.