PM on BPL Crisis ‘The buck stops here’

PRIME Minister Philip ‘Brave’ Davis speaks to the media during a tour of schools August 19th, 2026. 
Photo: Nikia Charlton

PRIME Minister Philip ‘Brave’ Davis speaks to the media during a tour of schools August 19th, 2026. Photo: Nikia Charlton

By EARYEL BOWLEG

Tribune Staff Reporter

ebowleg@tribunemedia.net

PRIME Minister Philip “Brave” Davis yesterday defended Energy Minister JoBeth Coleby-Davis amid questions over her relative silence amid ongoing controversy at Bahamas Power and Light (BPL), declaring that “the bucks stops here”.

Mr Davis made the comments after touring schools with Education minister Chester Cooper, where he was questioned about the fallout from BPL’s allegations of overtime abuse, its unions’ work to rule mandate, and the silence of the minister responsible for the electricity provider.

Mr Davis said: “The buck stops here, and that’s the answer you’ll give to those who are concerned about whether she is quiet or not.”

The prime minister also declined to comment on whether members of BPL’s management would be held responsible for the alleged abuse of overtime hours.

But he said he was not concerned about the work-to-rule action.

“I gave a national address on the subject matter. I laid out what I perceive to be the issues and they'll be dealt with,” the prime minister.

The Tribune revealed last week that three employees in BPL’s Fuel and Performance Department received a combined $601,295.16 in overtime between May 2025 and April 2026. Two received more than $200,000 each, with some monthly payments exceeding $20,000.

In his national address on Monday, Mr Davis said a system that allowed three employees to collect more than $600,000 in overtime in a year was an abuse.

“It is not credible that a person works twenty-four hours straight, three days running, and does safe work,” Mr Davis said in his address. “It is not fair to the ratepayer, who funds every dollar. And it is not fair to the honest worker, whose profession is tarnished by it.”

The claims have sparked pushback from the Bahamas Electrical Workers Union (BEWU) and Bahamas Electrical Utility Managerial Union (BEUMU).

It was reported two BPL workers were suspended over allegations of “gross misconduct”.

The Nassau Guardian reported Senior Mechanical Technician Wellington Porter and Manager Melvin Babb were both suspended; however, it is not clear whether the suspension is connected to the overtime issue.

The records obtained by The Tribune do not identify Mr Porter as the employee who recorded the 90 hours over four consecutive days during Christmas week.

BEUMU President Chris Hanna confirmed Mr Babb’s letter did not list the overtime issue. Both the management and worker’s union have announced their members are on work to rule.

Comments

TalRussell 3 hours, 12 minutes ago

Yeah, leading a government and taking personal responsibility often puts a permanent target on a comrade leader's back.

Sign in to comment