Local News

Subscribe

Tease photo

Domes unveiled to house 1,000 people in Abaco

THE family centre relief site in Abaco that will feature dome housing structures capable of withstanding 180mph to 200mph winds will accommodate 250 domes and about 1,000 people, according to co-chair of disaster and reconstruction committee, John-Mi

112 Haitians deported

MORE than 100 Haitians were deported to Port-au-Prince yesterday. The Department of Immigration said a Bahamasair flight departed Lynden Pindling International Airport at 8.07am to Haiti with 112 Haitians, escorted by a team of law enforcement offic

Tease photo

McAlpine backs Chipman - but doesn't follow him

PINERIDGE MP Frederick McAlpine supports Reece Chipman’s resignation from the Free National Movement but has no plans to follow suit anytime soon. Mr McAlpine has, along with Mr Chipman and Golden Isles MP Vaughn Miller, been vocal critics of the FN

Tease photo

GOING IT ALONE: Chipman abandons FNM dismayed by party politics

MEMBER of Parliament for Centreville Reece Chipman had been contemplating severing ties with the governing Free National Movement to represent the constituency as an independent since January.

Tease photo

Dorian missing confirmed - 282

A DAY after Social Services Minister Frankie Campbell said 1,208 are still unaccounted for following Hurricane Dorian, National Security Minister Marvin Dames clarified that police have reports of just 282 people still being missing.

Tease photo

Nygard’s contempt ruling - again

PETER Nygard was convicted of contempt of court yesterday for breaching an injunction preventing him from publishing emails that were stolen from environmental group Save The Bays.

Tease photo

Waiting is over for 25 nurses

TWENTY-FIVE nurses received their job appointment letters from the Ministry of Health after waiting for more than a year. Speaking to reporters at a press conference on Wednesday, Health Minister Dr Duane Sands said it represented the end of an unfo

'Nation will face a mental health impact from storm'

AS mental health discussions rise to the forefront in the wake of Hurricane Dorian, Health Minister Dr Duane Sands said yesterday that there will be significant psychological impacts in the country as a result of the powerful Category Five storm. “W

Tease photo

Ash denies claim that he altered police statement

BUSINESSMAN Jonathan Ash yesterday denied that he altered a statement he gave to police concerning bribery allegations against former Cabinet minister Shane Gibson, despite previously claiming that he did.Mr Ash, while being interrogated by lead Crow

Classes resume at University of the Bahamas campus in Freeport

THE University of The Bahamas North has reopened and resumed classes at its downtown centre in Freeport, a month after Hurricane Dorian destroyed the northern campus in East Grand Bahama. Dr Ian Strachan, vice president of UB North, said university

Tease photo

Killings go on as another man dies

POLICE are investigating another shooting incident that left a man dead yesterday afternoon, the fourth killing since Tuesday.

Tease photo

Almost one in five prisoners re-offend

WITH the recidivism rate at the Bahamas Department of Correctional Services said to be around 17 percent, officials remain committed to rehabilitating prisoners and preventing the further increase of recidivism in the country.Speaking at the official

Tease photo

Minnis highlights uneven building code enforcement

A BAHAMIAN man who breached the parameters of a permit to construct a two-storey building has for the last two years been barred from occupying the structure on which he spent “all of his life savings”. By contrast, people living in shanty towns hav

Tease photo

Disaster bill a 'bold step' for future hurricane preparedness

PRIME Minister Dr Hubert Minnis yesterday described the Disaster Preparedness and Response Amendment Bill 2019 as one of many “bold steps” that will fundamentally change how the country prepares for and responds to hurricanes. During debate on the p

Tease photo

'Respectful' burial for unidentified storm victims

HEALTH Minister Dr Duane Sands said the unidentified remains of people killed by Hurricane Dorian will be respectfully placed in a burial site after a consultation process with the public has been completed. Speaking to reporters Dr Sands said famil