ACP Butler: Nothing could have prepared me for Dorian
HURRICANE Dorian brought on a “new phenomena” for Grand Bahama and the northern Bahamas, according to Assistant Commissioner of Police Samuel Butler who admits having to abandon their pre-storm police plans in order to save lives. He said that nothi
$20m cost to rebuild Grand Bahama schools
THE Ministry of Education’s Hurricane Dorian relief budget to rebuild damaged schools in Grand Bahama will be approximately $20m, according to Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis. Speaking during the House of Assembly yesterday, Dr Minnis said the Minis
UPDATED: Chipman resigns from FNM, citing handling of Hurricane Dorian, partisan politics
CENTREVILLE MP Reece Chipman said the government’s handling of Hurricane Dorian as well as institutional and partisan politics drew him to his decision to sever ties with the governing Free National Movement.
Man shot dead in Kennedy Subdivision
A man is dead after a shooting in the Kennedy Subdivision on Wednesday night.
UPDATED: Number of missing now at 282 after Dorian
FRIDAY UPDATE: A DAY after Social Services Minister Frankie Campbell said 1,208 are still unaccounted for following Hurricane Dorian, National Security Minister Marvin Dames clarified that police have reports of just 282 people still being missing
Dorian’s $430m hit on Treasury
THE deficit for the fiscal year will balloon by more than $430m because of Hurricane Dorian, with the government expecting to spend nearly $230m to recover from the storm while anticipating a revenue hit of about $215m, according to Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance Peter Turnquest.
Ash claims PM's words sparked death threats
BUSINESSMAN Jonathan Ash yesterday claimed that the prime minister’s pronouncements about his involvement in the Hurricane Matthew clean-up caused him to receive death threats and warnings to leave the country.
30 missing in Grand Bahama
A MONTH after Hurricane Dorian, some 30 people, including several children, are still missing on Grand Bahama, a top police official confirmed on Wednesday. Assistant Commissioner of Police Samuel Butler stressed that all efforts have been and are s
'Once in a lifetime' $1.2m gift to hospital
A significant donation of medical equipment valued at $1.2m was made to Princess Margaret Hospital’s Division of Orthopedics. Called a once-in-a-lifetime gift by Dr Dane Bowe, consultant orthopaedic and arthroplasty surgeon at PMH, the donation come
56 Haitians detained in immigration operation
A Department of Immigration operation resulted in the arrest of 56 Haitian nationals.The operation was carried at approximately 6pm on Tuesday.After processing, 40 people were committed to the Carmichael Road Detention Centre. This group included 13
Lions roar in to offer relief
THE Freeport Lions Club and Lions International have gone in several affected communities in Grand Bahama delivering relief supplies to residents from Freeport to East End.Lions Club President Dudley Bent and Willie Gonzales of Florida led a team of
One killed, two shot by lone gunman
POLICE in New Providence are investigating a shooting that left two men in hospital and another dead.
Call for Potter's Cay dock manager to resign was 'disappointing'
IT IS disappointing that Potter’s Cay Dock vendors called for dock manager Gregory Minnis to resign during their protest last week, the Ministry of Agriculture said yesterday. The government’s parking policy, preventing patrons from parking in front
Marvin Dames: No compromise over Abaco safety needs
AS looting and theft concerns persist in Abaco, National Security Minister Marvin Dames was adamant the government is very serious about security on the island, adding there had been no compromise over safety needs.“There are no games,” the minister
Davis wants govt to shorten time to declare a missing person dead
PROGRESSIVE Liberal Party Leader Phillip “Brave” Davis has called on the Minnis administration to shorten the time it takes to declare a person dead once missing after a natural disaster.


