Local News

Subscribe

Tease photo

Time to rebuild: $100m signing for cruise port in wake of storm

THE government and Carnival Corporation signed a heads of agreement for the development of a $100m cruise port in East Grand Bahama, three weeks after Hurricane Dorian ravaged the island.

Tease photo

Abaco restaurant won’t return after hurricane

THE pictures of savory dishes and idyllic seaside views are still displayed on the Facebook page of The Bae, tokens of what once existed in west Abaco, but will exist no more.

Tease photo

‘Tough’ for police after crime spike

NATIONAL Security Minister Marvin Dames yesterday insisted that police are solving crimes, although he admitted that a recent spate of criminal activity over the last month has made the job “tough” for officers.

Tease photo

Surgeons save Fred Smith’s life after paragliding horror crash

ATTORNEY Fred Smith is recovering in a European hospital after surviving a near fatal paragliding accident in Italy on Sunday that required five-hour surgery.

Tease photo

Man plunges from third-floor roof after girlfriend murdered

GRAND Bahama police are investigating a murder and attempted suicide that left a young mother dead and her boyfriend critically injured after he reportedly jumped from the third floor of an apartment building in Freeport late Tuesday.

Tease photo

MP fails to overturn eviction

FOX Hill MP Shonel Ferguson has failed to convince the Court of Appeal to give her investment company another chance to try to overturn its Supreme Court-ordered eviction from a building on which it allegedly never paid real property taxes since assu

Tease photo

Sands says process of placing nurses is slow

HEALTH Minister Dr Duane Sands said yesterday that there have been some outstanding challenges in getting nurses processed through the public health care system. Speaking to reporters outside Cabinet yesterday, Dr Sands said post-Hurricane Dorian, s

Tease photo

All sides agree 4m site plan approval should be quashed

THE approval the government gave a Harbour Island developer to construct its multi-million dollar project on that island was unlawful, the Supreme Court heard yesterday.The conclusion was shared by all parties involved in the dispute: lawyers for the

Tease photo

Mitchell: Shanty towns should not be rebuilt

PROGRESSIVE Liberal Party Chairman Fred Mitchell said the major Abaco shanty towns should not be rebuilt.Speaking to reporters yesterday at a press conference held at the Office of the Leader of the Opposition, Mr Mitchell lamented Hurricane Dorian’s

Tease photo

Oil spill damage just 'a goat and three birds' says minister

ONLY a goat and three birds were negatively impacted by the recent oil spill in Grand Bahama, Environment Minister Romauld Ferreira said yesterday. Officials do not know how much oil spilled when Hurricane Dorian blew the tops off Equinor’s storage

Tease photo

One in four homes assessed in Grand Bahama destroyed

AS the Department of Social Services continues its home assessments in Grand Bahama, officials have revealed that of the 879 homes assessed so far after Hurricane Dorian, some 217 were considered totally destroyed.Paula Marshall, director of social s

Tease photo

Red Cross: We'll be there until work is done

POST-recovery efforts in the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian are critical and the Red Cross will be there until the work is done, according to president of the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, Dr Francesco Rocca.Spe

Tease photo

Tennyson Wells dies: Former minister had lengthy health battle

AFTER battling prostate cancer, hypertension and diabetes, “tenacious” and “fearless” former Cabinet minister Tennyson Wells died at his home yesterday morning.

Tease photo

Restoring Rand after storm will cost $19m

IT WILL cost roughly $19m to return Rand Memorial Hospital in Grand Bahama to working condition following Hurricane Dorian, Health Minister Dr Duane Sands revealed yesterday.

Tease photo

Donated money ‘for only Dorian victims’

DONOR money received by the government from dozens of entities and neighbouring countries will only be used to assist those affected by deadly Hurricane Dorian, insisted Finance Minister Peter Turnquest yesterday.