Sentence cut to three weeks for fatal collision
A MAN has been released from prison after the Court of Appeal shortened his one year sentence to three weeks for hitting a motorcyclist with his car and killing him in Abaco earlier this year.The appellate tribunal of Justices Jon Isaacs, Stella Cran
Police hunt pair of armed robbers
TWO armed men robbed Budget food store on Bernard Road on Saturday night. According to police, the incident occurred after 8pm when an armed man entered the food store, held employees up and robbed the place of cash. The suspect escaped in a light co
'We were defenceless': New ministry as Minnis says we have to prepare
PRIME Minister Dr Hubert Minnis announced the creation of the new Ministry of Disaster Preparedness, Management and Reconstruction yesterday, to be headed by Central Grand Bahama MP Iram Lewis.
Abaco and GB named Economic Recovery Zones
ABACO and East Grand Bahama have been declared special economic recovery zones, Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis announced yesterday, as he outlined several tax exemptions, waivers and concessions for residents seeking to rebuild life in the aftermath of deadly Hurricane Dorian.
Johnson: Stop this anti-Haitian rhetoric
IMMIGRATION Minister Elsworth Johnson has hit out at the burgeoning wave of anti-Haitian rhetoric in the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian, asserting that much of the information being circulated is “downright wrong” and not condoned by the Minnis administration.
Teddy bears after the tragedy for displaced children
CLARA Smith, wife of Governor General C A Smith, along her daughter-in-law Charlene Smith, presented children who were displaced by Hurricane Dorian with teddy bears at their shelters last week.Mrs Smith was assisted by Kim Sawyer, deputy director, D
PM announces new Ministry of Disaster Preparedness, Management and Reconstruction, Dorian-affected areas designated Economic Recovery Zones
From today’s press conference by Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis:
Hurricane death toll now at 53
Commissioner of Police Anthony Ferguson said on Friday that police had recovered another body from the hurricane affected area of Abaco.
Disaster Preparedness and Response Amendment Bill 'unconstitutional'
ATTORNEY Wayne Munroe, QC, believes the government’s proposed Disaster Preparedness and Response Amendment Bill 2019 is “unconstitutional”, as he accused the government of causing harm to scores of Abaco residents.
Speaker: China should consider developing southeast Bahamas
HOUSE Speaker Halson Moultrie yesterday recommended to a People’s Republic of China delegation that its country consider developing the southeast region of the Bahamas to shift the population concentration from the northwest Bahamas.
Conditions at Kendal G L Isaacs Gymnasium 'unsatisfactory'
CONDITIONS at the Kendal G L Isaacs Gymnasium, which houses more than 1,000 Hurricane Dorian evacuees, was found to be unsatisfactory upon inspection by a group of officials.
Drug and ammunition convict's prison time capped at two years
THE Court of Appeal has capped a drug and ammunition convict’s time in prison to a maximum of two years after ruling that his sentences should be served concurrently.
Govt denies reports of non-Bahamians being mistreated after Dorian
GOVERNMENT has denied social media reports claiming that non-Bahamians are being mistreated in the wake of hurricane Dorian that affected Abaco and Grand Bahama.
Bahamas 'facing impending threat' from climate change
THE Bahamas is facing an impending and existential threat due to climate change, according to the Cat Island Conservation Institute Friday.
More than a dozen still missing in High Rock community
IN the High Rock community alone, more than a dozen persons are still missing and feared dead in the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian - one of the most destructive and deadliest storms in the history of the Bahamas.


