Khrisna Virgil reviews the big stories that had the Bahamas talking this week.
One man is dead and five are in hospital after a spate of shootings on Friday and early Saturday.
Friday, October 21st.
Friday, October 21st.
POLICE are investigating a suspected drowning incident on Thursday afternoon that left a 48-year-old man dead.
SCORES of disgruntled motorists on Friday slammed the Road Traffic Department’s (RTD) digital automated system registration process, calling the newly launched exercise “utter chaos”.
ADVANCING its recent move to acquire a 65 per cent majority equity stake in a rival web shop, Island Luck on Friday hosted a job fair, with a view to fully staff the new operation within the coming weeks.
While there are currently no plans to postpone the party’s convention, Progressive Liberal Party Chairman Bradley Roberts said the convention committee is open to “discussing the idea”.
THE Department of Meteorology’s Doppler radar has been fixed, Transport and Aviation Minister Glenys Hanna Martin said yesterday.
BAHAMAS Power and Light has temporarily suspended disconnections on overdue accounts in an effort to provide relief to customers after the passage of Hurricane Matthew, according to Corporate Communications Manager Arnette Ingraham.
RENEW Bahamas’ decision to suspend its services as manager of the New Providence landfill has relegated the site’s woes “back to square one,” according to DNA Leader Branville McCartney, who charged that the Renew Bahamas experiment has proven to be a “complete and utter waste of time”.
PRIME Minister Perry Christie yesterday insisted that the government had checks and balances in place to handle the $150m hurricane relief money it intends to borrow, as he responded to critics who have expressed doubt that the Christie administration is capable of fiscal responsibility of the funds.
MORE than 90 per cent of Bahamas Power and Light’s residential customers in New Providence have been restored to supply, however there are still approximately 8,000 customers without power, BPL said yesterday.
PRIME Minister Perry Christie yesterday sent a strong message to sidelined Free National Movement MPs Richard Lightbourn and Hubert Chipman to “resist with all your might” any attempt by the party’s leadership to end their careers.
Politicians “have no business being in power” if they fail to address the Bahamas’ fiscal peril, a reform advocate warned yesterday, adding that another Matthew-type hit could produce a 115-120 per cent debt-to-GDP ratio.
The Government is planning to demolish the Clarence A. Bain Building and replace it with a “flagship one-stop shop centre” for assisting employment seekers, in a bid to improve its 2 per cent job placement success rate.
The developer behind the controversial $12 million Blackbeard’s Cay project will appeal its latest legal reversal to the Privy Council, its attorney yesterday warning opponents against making another 100 Bahamian unemployed “in this climate”.
A Cabinet Minister yesterday admitted the Government had been “surprised” by Renew Bahamas’ decision to suspend its management of the New Providence landfill, with no decision made yet on whether the company will return.
The Minister of Tourism yesterday acknowledged that debate over a National Lottery would be reignited following the $600 million in damage created by Hurricane Matthew, adding that $3 million was already available to assist from the web shops.
PRIME Minister Perry Christie acknowledged yesterday that the government needed to do a better job of ensuring hurricane shelters were kept up to standard, as he pledged to redirect his administration’s focus on the proper licensing of these facilities.