Latest stories

Subscribe


IT meltdown won’t halt digital payments drive

The Bahamas’ digital payments drive will not be stalled by Friday’s global IT outage, a prominent banker argued yesterday, as the benefits “far outstrip” the impacts from this event.

Top pilot body warns PM on ‘egregious’ fee hikes

The world’s largest private pilot body has warned the Prime Minister “there is no question The Bahamas will lose its competitive advantage” unless it tackles “egregious fees” and other obstacles to general aviation.

‘Unfriendly’ society found illegally selling insurance

Insurance regulators found an entity registered under the Friendly Societies Act was breaching multiple laws by selling insurance products to persons who were non-members.


IT meltdown ‘wake up call’ for local business

Bahamian businesses and information technology (IT) providers yesterday branded Friday’s global meltdown “a wake-up call” in exposing this nation’s vulnerability to events over which it has no control.

Tease photo

New $10m PI restaurant’s construction 75% complete

A Chicago-based restaurant’s $10m Paradise Island expansion is targeting a September 2024 completion with construction work now about 75 percent complete.

Tease photo

Airport, banks and stores are hit by global internet outage

A global technology shortage affected services at Lynden Pindling International Airport on Friday.


Tease photo

Cooper: Talk over $35m water park ‘premature’

DISCUSSIONS around the Nassau Cruise Port’s plans to develop a $35m water park are “premature”, according to Acting Prime Minister Chester Cooper.

Tease photo

ACTIVTRADES: Off to a rough start

The final trading day of last week started with a huge information (IT) problem that began in Australia and spread worldwide. The disruption affected Windows PCs in several industries, and appears related to the security software supplied by CrowdStrike. The company’s share price fell by around 12 percent as a result.

'Don't penalise business in Bahamas over global outage'

BAHAMAS Chamber of Commerce and Employers’ Confederation (BCCEC) President Leo Rolle said he hopes businesses are not penalised after Friday’s global technology outage.


PHA appeals to families to collect ‘boarders’ who are residing at PMH

BOARDERS at the Princess Margaret Hospital are as young as four months old and as old as 80.

Tease photo

World’s second largest cruise ship to sail to The Bahamas exclusively

THE Utopia of the Seas, the world’s second-largest cruise ship, will exclusively sail to The Bahamas twice a week, resulting in about 800,000 passengers visiting the country’s shores a year.

MOFA claims Tribune misleading on US report on investment climate

THE Ministry of Foreign Affairs accused The Tribune of misleadingly reporting on the United States’ latest investment climate report on The Bahamas.


Officer laughed as body camera switched on in police shooting

A FORMER police officer laughed and lamented turning on his body camera after shooting a man last year.

Tease photo

GB murder takes year’s tally to 71

SIX people have been killed since Thursday, pushing the murder count for the year to 71.

Tease photo

Cooper: Water park not final

ACTING Prime Minister Chester Cooper said discussions about a $35m water park at the Nassau Cruise Port are premature because the government has yet to consider the proposal.


Tease photo

President Joe Biden pulls out of reelection bid

President Joe Biden dropped out of the 2024 race for the White House on Sunday, ending his bid for reelection following a disastrous debate with Donald Trump that raised doubts about his fitness for office just four months before the election.

Tease photo

Man shot dead and suspect shot by police

A MAN was shot dead in a truck on Saturday evening, close to a police station - prompting a police chase that ended with one suspect being shot by officers and another being arrested. A third suspect is still on the run.

Man killed in three-car crash

A 51-YEAR-OLD man was killed on Friday night in a three-car collision on Cowpen Road.


Tease photo

PM's views unknown over cruise port water park

THE prime minister's views on plans to develop a $35m water park at Nassau Cruise Port remain unknown in the wake of opposition voiced by Education Minister Glenys Hanna-Martin.

Tease photo

Govt to start construction on 50 homes in Grand Bahama

HOUSING and Urban Development Minister Keith Bell announced on Friday that the government will start construction of 50 new homes in Grand Bahama.