Officer charged with murder shot dead

By SANCHESKA BROWN Tribune Staff Reporter sbrown@tribunemedia.net A FORMER police constable, out on bail for murder, became the country's latest homicide victim yesterday. Kenneth Gibson, 31, was leaving a popular nightclub in the area of East Bay and Mackey streets around 5.30am Monday, when he was shot multiple times about the body. He was taken to the hospital by private vehicle, but died a short time later. Police say they are still in the preliminary stages of their investigations and have not yet determined a motive for the shooting. However, sources say Gibson's killing may have been retaliatory. The former police officer was on bail in connection with the April 27, 2010, murder of George Carey. Mr Carey, who died of his injuries in hospital, was stabbed in an incident in the Wulff Road area near Lockhart's Bar, on April 22. Gibson worked as a constable when detectives arrested him and charged him with murder. He was dismissed from the force after his arraignment. Gibson was also charged in August, 2011, with two counts of firearm possession with intent to endanger the life of two existing police officers. The offence is alleged to have occurred on August 2. He was out on bail awaiting trial in both of these matters. Anthony Ferguson, Assistant Commissioner of Police, said at this point in the investigation police do not know if Gibson's death was retaliation for any of his prior charges. However, ACP Ferguson said Gibson's death may have been related to several other shootings in the area. "What happened in that area may have been connected. There were several other shootings in that East Bay Street area where the homicide happened this weekend," he said. "There was a shooting on Sunday morning and on Saturday morning. Both involved persons leaving the club and going to their vehicles. "In the first incident, a man and a woman were walking to their vehicle when they were approached by persons who opened fire. "In the second incident, a male was walking along Mackey Street when persons in a vehicle shot at him. "We have a strategy in place in respect to that area which you will be seeing in the not-too-distant future." Gibson became the country's 15th murder victim for the year. ACP Ferguson said police have also made significant progress in respect to the 13th and 14th homicides. He said: "We have two persons in custody who are assisting us with our investigations. We are making significant progress as it relates to the triple shooting. We do not have a definitive motive but based on our preliminary investigations it appears to be domestic." Anthony Miller, 26, and Alexandria Farrington, 24, were shot and killed at about 2am on Saturday morning. Police say a man with a handgun opened fire on a group of people after a fight broke out at a party on Fire Trail Road. Miller and Farrington were shot multiple times and they both died in hospital. A third man was also injured during the shooting and is said to be in stable condition in hospital. Police have also identified the man who was shot and killed late Friday night. Deshante Bain, 23, of Scott Street, had just arrived at his home between West Street and Hospital Lane when a man armed with a handgun opened fire on him. He was shot multiple times about the body and died on the scene. ACP Ferguson said police are doing everything they can to identify, arrest and bring to justice the persons responsible for these latest violent crimes. Anyone with information on any of these murders is asked to contact police at 919, the Central Detective Unit at 502-9991 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 328-TIPS.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment