By CELESTE NIXON
Tribune Staff Reporter
A 32-YEAR-OLD father was shot and killed over the weekend becoming the country's second murder of the year.
Mario Stuart, cousin of FNM front runner for Bamboo Town Cassius Stuart, was shot in the stomach shortly after 2am on Saturday in front of his home in Balls Alley.
He was taken to hospital in a private vehicle where he later died of his injuries.
Speaking with The Tribune yesterday Cassius Stuart told how Mario, who had a son aged seven, had heard gunshots and stepped outside his house to investigate.
"He stepped out of his home and was caught in the crossfire," he said.
Mr Stuart lamented the prolific number of young men who have been "killed senselessly".
He said: "There is much to be done to combat the rising level of violence that is affecting the youth of our nation.
"There are so many of our young men, our young fathers that are dying and leaving children fatherless, they are the future of our country which is being cut short prematurely."
Last week, Commissioner of Police Ellision Greenslade stressed the need for greater participation from the public to curb the proliferation of violent crime. Of the 127 murders recorded last year, 13 of the 16 women killed were domestic incidents. Three cases involved victims between the ages of 11 and 16 years old.
"Many of the suspects or persons of interest in many of the murders recorded for 2011, died at the hands of assailants before they could be arrested and questioned by the police," Mr Greenslade said. "What is unfortunate is that some sectors of our society are acutely aware of where these murder suspects are, but will not turn them in."
Police are appealing to anyone who may have any information regarding this incident to contact police @ 919, 322-3333, the Central Detective Unit @ 502-9991, 502-9910 or Crime Stoppers @ 328-TIPS.