By BRENT STUBBS
Senior Sports Reporter
TAUREANO 'Reno' Johnson continued his impressive journey through the middleweight ranks with another unanimous decision on Saturday night as he kept his undefeated record intact with a hard fought victory over American Roberto Young.
Competing on the undercard of the heavyweight showdown that saw former light heavyweight and cruiserweight champion Tomasz Adamek out-decision 'Fast' Eddie Chambers at the Prudential Center in Neward, New Jersey, Johnson had to wait for the judges' decision, which was in his favour 58-56 across the board.
"The fight was a tough but good fight," Johnson told The Tribune. "I went in there to win and to God be the glory that's what happens."
It was just the second time that Johnson has fought to a six-round decision and only the third time that he went the distance to improve his record to 9-0 with six knockouts.
However, he admitted that he expected Young, who dropped to 5-5-1 (4 KOs), to put up a gallant effort.
"As far as to what I expected, yes it was what I thought it would be," he said. "He's a fighter who has never been knocked out. So I know it would have been a challenge."
Johnson dominated four out of the six rounds to preserve his record - a feat that he was proud to maintain at this point in his professional career that got started on March 5, 2010, with a first round knockout over Cleoney Fuqua at the Center Stage in Atlanta, Georgia.
"I won four rounds out of six, bringing me to 9 and 0," he said. "Being undefeated is great and I'm looking to continue my winning streak.
"My success is owed to God who has given me the ability to block all negativity, to withstand the pressure and stress of the training and sacrifices made to get this far."
Johnson, however, admitted that he knew he was facing a "durable opponent", but he was planning on taking him out a little earlier in the fight.
"My team and I try to make sure that when we win a round, we win it convincingly," he said. "The first round is usually a feeling out round and if my opponent is still around by the fifth, the plan is to load up and go for the knockout.
"But if we go to the sixth, or the final round, we just have to work on securing the decision.
Johnson said he was pleased to hear the comments from the sidelines as someone shouted that it was "the best fight of the night." He noted that it just showed that the public is pleased with his efforts.
"Knowing that I had given a round or two away, not by mistake, but by will, I have to say that I agree with the decision. Of course, you're not going to get as much attention as a loser, so you just want to continue to win."
Johnson said he feels this is his time to shine.
"Much is expected from me," he said. "God does things on his time and on time," he said. "I am going to take full advantage of these times and enjoy my blessings."
While he said he also intended to enjoy Father's Day on Sunday, Johnson noted that his immediate plan is to get right back into training and hopefully be ready for his next fight sometime in July.
"My ultimate goal is to become a world champion in the near future and I'm not going to stop until I achieve that," he said.