By BRENT STUBBS
Senior Sports Reporter
THE Bahamas Association of Athletic Associations (BAAA) should be very pleased with the development of our junior and senior athletes as they compete in major international meets this summer.
With the 14th IAAF World Junior Championships and the XXX Olympic Games on the horizon, a number of athletes are pegged on the world list of performers.
The IAAF World Juniors is set for July 10-15 in Barcelona, Spain, while the athletic competition for the London Olympics is scheduled for July 27 to August 12. Here's a look at the athletes' performances at this point in the season:
Senior Male Athletes
- Michael Mathieu - 9th best time of 20.16 in a meet in Belem on May 6
- Demetrius Pinder - 10th best time of 20.23 at a meet in Coral Gables, Florida, on April 14
- Michael Mathieu - tied for the 6th best time of 45.06 on Sunday
- Chris Brown - 9th best time of 45.14 at a meet in the Cayman Islands on May 9
- Demetrius Pinder - 10th in a time of 45.15 at a meet in Ponce on April 12
- Donald Thomas - tied for 6th best leap of 2.27m at a meet in Kingston, Jamaica, on May 5
- Trevor Barry - tied for 6th best leap of 2.27m at a meet in Doha on May 11
- Raymond Higgs - 15th best leap of 8.07m at a meet in Fayetteville, Arkansas, on April 21
- Leevan Sands - 11th best leap of 16.90m at a meet in Auburn on April 21
Senior Female Athletes
- Sheniqua Ferguson - 11th best time of 11.07 at a meet in Auburn on April 21
- Sheniqua Ferguson - 7th best time of 22.64 at a meet in Auburn on April 7
- Shaunae Miller - 8th best time of 22.70 in a meet at Thomas A Robinson Stadium on March 2
- Shaunae Miller - 17th best time of 51.44 in a meet at Thomas A Robinson Stadium on Saturday
- Women's 4 x 100 meter relay - 7th best time of 44.14 at the Penn Relays in Philadelphia
Junior Male Athletes
- O'Jay Ferguson - 6th in a time of 46.14 at a meet in El Paso, Texas, on March 23
- Ryan Ingraham - 1st with a personal best leap of 2.28m (7-5 1/4) in the Fritz Grant Invitational at Thomas A Robinson Stadium on Saturday
Junior Female Athletes
- Anthonique Strachan - leading time of 11.22 in a meet at Thomas A Robinson Stadium
- Shaunae Miller - 5th best time of 11.41 at the same meet in Nassau
- Shaunae Miller - leading time of 22.70 at Thomas A Robinson Stadium on March 2
- Anthonique Strachan - second best time of 12.85 at the Carifta Games in Hamilton, Bermuda, over the Easter holiday weekend.
- Shaunae Miller - leading time of 51.44 in a meet at Thomas A Robinson Stadium on Saturday.