By LAMECH JOHNSON
Tribune Staff Reporter
A MAN convicted of trying to kill two Atlantis security guards during a shooting at Marina Village was sentenced to more than 15 years in prison yesterday.
While it was noted by Senior Justice Jon Isaacs that the offences and circumstances in which they were committed were serious, he told 22-year-old Clarence Smith that his case did not warrant life imprisonment, the maximum punishment.
Smith was sentenced to 16 years on each count of attempted murder, but the prison terms were to run concurrently.
However, the sentence was reduced to 15 years and three months once it was revealed that Smith had already spent nine months in prison.
Smith, of Dolphin Drive, was convicted on October 24, 2012.
During the trial before a nine member jury, it was claimed that on October 31, 2009, he tried to kill Dwayne De Costa, 36, and 33-year-old Troy Feaste. Smith had denied the charges.
His former co-accused Bashard Seymour was acquitted when Senior Justice Jon Isaacs directed the jury to deliver a not guilty verdict two days the trial ended.
In yesterday’s proceedings, a probation officer gave a report to the court concerning Smith’s history and conduct since being on remand.
The officer noted that Smith experienced difficulties with his studies growing up, but did try to get employment.
Murrio Ducille, Smith’s attorney, reiterated this point during his plea for mitigation.
He also noted that there was no indication that his client, considering his age, could not become a productive member of society once released from prison.
Prosecutor Jillian Williams argued that the security guards were merely performing their duties on the night in question and became victims of an unprovoked attack in a busy tourist area.
Ms Williams told the judge that a message needed to be sent.
The outcome of the trial was not taken well by Smith’s mother, who began sobbing and had to be consoled by friends and relatives as her son was carried away in handcuffs.