By DANA SMITH
Tribune Staff Reporter
FNM Leader Hubert Minnis said he is “delighted” with former Prime Minister Hubert Ingraham’s announcement that he will vote “no” to both questions in next Monday’s gambling referendum.
During a press conference yesterday morning, Mr Ingraham declared that “events surrounding the conduct and campaign” of the referendum persuaded him to participate.
In a subsequent statement released by Dr Minnis, the party leader said he welcomes the announcement from Mr Ingraham.
“Like thousands of other Bahamians it is clear that the former prime minister has concluded that this process has been mismanaged and corrupted, and no good can become of a ‘yes’ vote this coming Monday,” he said.
“The former prime minister fully appreciates that the stakes are too high for Bahamians of good conscience to stay at home.
“Whereas he was previously contemplating sitting out this vote, he has determined that the only way for the advocates of this botched process to win is for the believers in good governance, fairness and transparency to stay at home. I am delighted that he will stand up and let his voice be heard.
“I reiterate the FNM’s position,” Dr Minnis said. “We recommend a ‘no’ vote on both questions and urge all registered voters to go to the polls on Monday and take a stand for justice and good governance.”