By LAMECH JOHNSON
Tribune Staff Reprorter
THE Attorney General’s office requested more time to produce a Voluntary Bill of Indictment for two men accused of the hold up and near-fatal shooting of a senior police officer.
The Bill, which will bypass a preliminary inquiry and fast track the case to Supreme Court, was expected to be served on Maurice Armbrister and Excell Josey – the men charged with the April 10 attack on Supt Clayton Fernander – last week.
However, the Crown told Magistrate Joyanne Pratt-Ferguson that the Bill was not ready and requested an adjournment. The magistrate granted the adjournment, until July 3. Armbrister, 23, of Faith Gardens and Josey, 21, of Balls Alley, were arraigned a week after the incident before Chief Magistrate Roger Gomez.
They each face a charge of attempted armed robbery and attempted murder.
It is claimed that the pair attempted to kill Supt Fernander. It is also claimed they tried to rob him while armed with a handgun.
Supt Fernander was shot multiple times in the arm and upper body when two masked, armed men confronted him shortly after he pulled up at his home in the St Vincent Road area. He was armed at the time, but was not able to return fire.
Chief Magistrate Gomez told the accused that they were not required to enter a plea, then arraigned Armbrister on additional charges – possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition.Armbrister is alleged to have had a black-silver Smith and Wesson .45 pistol with 29 .45 bullets in his possession. The accused was allowed to enter a plea to these charges, and pleaded not guilty.
Both defendants claimed that they were beaten while in police custody and were ordered to be seen by a physician. They were remanded to Her Majesty’s Prison.