By KHRISNA VIRGIL
Tribune Staff Reporter
OFFICIALS at the Bahamas Electricity Corporation yesterday said they did not expect to undertake any load-shedding over the weekend, explaining that the power cuts experienced throughout this week have been solved.
According to BEC Deputy General Manager Shavon Cambridge, an American consultant has completed work on one of the corporation’s major units, which was affected by a thunderstorm earlier in the week.
His words followed a loss of power in various pockets of New Providence yesterday and in the preceding days. Mr Cambridge had told The Tribune on Wednesday that the corporation was load-shedding after two engines tripped offline – one at Clifton and the other at Blue Hills.
“We had everyone back on from around 10am or 11am this morning,” Mr Cambridge said yesterday. “We had a specialist from the United States in to fix our larger unit and his work is completed and he has already left the country.
“We don’t foresee any load-shedding in the days to come because the problems are fixed and that hurdle is crossed.”
He added that while the challenges have been handled, he could not speculate as to whether there would be more power disruptions. On Tuesday, numerous pockets of the island were without light for at least five hours following a thunderstorm in western New Providence.