By AVA TURNQUEST
Tribune Staff Reporter
CANADIAN pilot Michael Webster yesterday received the mandatory minimum sentence for his involvement in a $1m drug plot that was foiled at the country’s main point of entry.
Magistrate Andrew Forbes sentenced Webster to four years each for two counts of possession of dangerous drugs with intent to supply; two counts of conspiracy to possess dangerous drugs with intent to supply; two years each for two counts of conspiracy to import dangerous drugs, and two counts of importation of dangerous drugs.
All sentences will be served concurrently from the date of Webster’s incarceration on April 10.
Webster, 23, of Quebec, Canada, pleaded guilty to eight drug related charges concerning the seizures of 149 pounds of marijuana, 17.4 pounds of ecstasy pills and 2.6 pounds of Hashish oil on June 19.
He initially faced three counts each of possession of dangerous drugs with intent to supply, conspiracy to possess dangerous drugs with intent to supply, conspiracy to import dangerous drugs and importation of dangerous drugs. However, one of each count was withdrawn concerning the Hashish oil.
Yesterday, Magistrate Forbes said Webster’s casual attitude during the proceedings had been “off-putting”; however, he acknowledged that this was the nature of Webster’s personality after reading testimony made on his behalf.
When asked why he took the risk to leave home and travel across several jurisdictions to a strange country, Webster said he disregarded logic given the amount of money promised.
The trial of Darryl Bartlett, the 37-year-old son of a senior official in the Attorney General’s Office, and 48-year-old former policeman Murrilo Sullivan also began yesterday.
The two Bahamian pilots pleaded not guilty to the charges when arraigned on April 11, and are represented by Murrio Ducille.