• UPDATE: A victorious Dr Hubert Minnis has paid tribute to his opponent, Loretta Butler-Turner, saying “I say to Loretta ‘I salute you’. I want to say to Loretta publicly and on national radio and that ‘you are formidable and like your grandfather, fearless. Your tenacity and clarity of purpose have no doubt inspired many to commit themselves to our nation to replace this government. Loretta, you have made me stronger. I say there is a place for you in the FNM’.”
• Statement from Loretta Butler-Turner: “I congratulate Dr Hubert Minnis on his election as Party Leader, and Peter Turnquest on his election as Deputy Leader of the Free National Movement. I pledge to them my support as we work together to mount an effective Opposition and prepare to defeat the PLP at the next general election.
“I also extend congratulations to all who have been elected to office at our National Convention, including Chairman, Michael Pintard.
“The contest for the leadership is over, having demonstrated once again the solid democratic principles upon which our movement was founded and nurtured. Our shared task now is unity. As the Official Opposition the FNM has an essential constitutional role to play and a challenge to prepare for the responsibility of governing. I pledge my full support in these efforts in a spirit of unity and collegiality.
“I wish to thank the many delegates who voted for me as well as the many FNMs who supported my candidacy. I thank also those who worked so diligently and enthusiastically on my behalf, including my campaign team, benefactors and all those who lent their support, best wishes and prayers.
“I am grateful for the support of so many constituents from Long Island, whom I am privileged to serve as their Member of Parliament.
“And of course, I am enormously grateful to my husband, Ed, to my daughter and son, and to my wider family and dear friends for their support, love and encouragement.
“I close my campaign with a sense of enormous gratitude. I will continue to vigorously lend my voice and support as a member of the FNM’s parliamentary team and to offer to my party and the Bahamian people ideas for a better Bahamas.”
• The results are in from the FNM convention at Holy Trinity’s Convention Centre in Stapleton Gardens.
• Dr Hubert Minnis has won the vote for party leader, defeating Loretta Butler-Turner.
• Peter Turnquest has beaten Dr Duane Sands and Darron Cash to become deputy leader.
• Michael Pintard has been elected party chairman.
More news as it comes in.