By SANCHESKA BROWN
Tribune Staff Reporter
THE 18-year-old suspect wanted for questioning in connection with the home invasion and murder of Blair resident Andre Cartwright was caught by police early yesterday morning “hiding” in a Paradise Island hotel, according to Chief Superintendent Paul Rolle.
Speaking with The Tribune, Mr Rolle said Kevin Andrews was arrested around 10:30am in a hotel room “over the bridge” attempting to evade capture.
Andrews was wanted by police for questioning over the shooting death and attempted robbery of Cartwright, who was killed Tuesday while protecting his elderly parents from three armed assailants pretending to be police officers.
According to reports, Cartwright was at his Blair Estates home around 1:40am Tuesday, with his mother and father, when three men kicked in the front door of the house.
When he heard the noise, Cartwright got his licensed shotgun and went to investigate. He encountered the three suspects, one of whom was armed with a handgun.
There was a brief exchange of gunfire, which resulted in Cartwright being shot multiple times. He died at the scene. One of the suspects was also shot; however, he and the other men escaped in a silver coloured Honda Accord.
Shortly afterwards a woman driver arrived at the Princess Margaret Hospital with a man suffering from gunshot injuries to his chest. He was rushed into surgery and is still listed in critical condition.
Supt Rolle said the woman, of Rocky Pine Road, is still in police custody and is expected to be charged in connection with this matter.
He also refuted claims from residents in Blair Estates that men, pretending to be police officers, have been terrorizing the neighbourhood for weeks.
However, The Tribune understands the Blair neighbourhood watch sent out a memo last week encouraging residents to be on the look out for the “fake cops”.
“I am not aware of any such claim,” Mr Rolle, head of the Central Detective Unit, said when asked about this.
“That is my position at this time. I have asked my officers to check with the police station in the area to see whether or not they have such reports but from where I stand, I am not aware. We are attempting to ascertain the veracity of their claims.”
Residents of Blair are still reeling from the attack.
Several terrified residents contacted The Tribune yesterday afternoon threatening to take matters into their own hands “if something is not done immediately”.
However, Chief Supt Rolle encouraged citizens to contact the police and not attempt “any sort of retaliation.”