By LAMECH JOHNSON
Tribune Staff Reporter
A MAN fighting an approved extradition request will have his appeal heard on June 30 in the Court of Appeal.
Melvin Maycock Sr and his lawyer, Jerone Roberts, appeared before Justices Anita Allen, Abdulai Conteh and Neville Adderley yesterday when the judges were told that they had yet to receive transcripts from the extradition proceedings that occurred in Magistrates Court.
Mr Roberts said the transcripts were important references concerning the habeus corpeus application made in Supreme Court.
Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions Frankyln Williams confirmed that obtaining transcripts for extradition proceedings were a challenge and offered no objection to an adjournment.
In May 2013, then Deputy Chief Magistrate Carolita Bethell ruled that there was sufficient evidence for the men to answer allegations of their involvement in a multi-national drug smuggling organisation, as alleged by the US government in 2004 when the request was made.
However, Maycock Sr, his son, Melvin Jr, Trevor Roberts, Gordon Newbold, Sheldon Moore, Devroy Moss, Shanto Curry, Lynden and Brenden Deal, Torry and Larran Lockhart, Wilfred Ferguson, Derek Rigby and Carl Culmer had since appealed the magistrate’s ruling with a habeas corpus application to the Supreme Court.
An appeal to the Privy Council on the legality of the Listening Devices Act was lodged by Newbold, Curry, Moore, Roberts, Moss and Maycock Sr and was heard on February 12 and 13 last year.
Two months later, the Privy Council ruled that the Listening Devices Act, the governing legislation for wire taps, was constitutional.
Last September, then-Senior Justice Jon Isaacs approved the extradition request for Maycock Sr, Roberts, Moss, Curry, the Deal brothers, Lockhart, Ferguson, Rigby, Culmer, Moore and Newbold. He quashed an extradition order for Maycock's son and Larran Lockhart.
The appeal hearing of the other 11 appellants may also be heard on June 30.