By LAMECH JOHNSON
Tribune Staff Reporter
A JUDGE has reserved her decision on whether she will approve the bail application of an alleged drug lord fighting extradition to the United States.
Justice Vera Watkins had adjourned Melvin Maycock Sr’s bail application to consider if she had the jurisdiction to hear the application even though Maycock’s dismissed application for bail before Senior Justice Stephen Isaacs had not been contested at the Court of Appeal.
Maycock Sr, the alleged head of the Caribbean arm of a multi-national drug trafficking network, was denied bail by Senior Justice Isaacs in March.
After determining yesterday that she did have the jurisdiction to hear the matter, Crown prosecutor Ambrose Armbrister maintained his initial objection made at last week’s hearing that the appropriate forum for the matter, at this stage, was the appellate court.
He argued that the current application amounted to an abuse of process, claiming that there had been no material changes in Maycock’s circumstances since his previous application.
He argued that Maycock Sr was likely to re-offend if released on bail given his recent previous conviction for possession of dangerous drugs and escaping lawful custody.
Murrio Ducille, lawyer for Maycock Sr, argued that his client had already served his time for the offences for which he was convicted.
Concerning the ongoing extradition proceedings, he said that the other persons being sought by the US government on drug charges had been granted bail, notwithstanding the approval of the extradition requests.
The veteran lawyer added that Maycock Sr, who has yet to receive all of the transcripts to aid his appeal, should not be discriminated against and deprived of his liberty when his co-accused are walking free pending the conclusion of the matter.
Mr Ducille said the judge could impose any number of conditions to a bond for his client. Justice Watkins said she would require a week to give a decision on the application, which she will produce in writing.
The matter was adjourned to August 25.
Last September, then-Senior Justice Jon Isaacs upheld the approved extradition request for Maycock Sr, along with co-accused Trevor Roberts, Gordon Newbold, Sheldon Moore, Devroy Moss, Shanto Curry, Lynden Deal, Brenden Deal, Torry Lockhart, Wilfred Ferguson, Derek Rigby and Carl Culmer. He quashed an extradition order for Maycock’s son, Melvin Jr, and Larran Lockhart.
Maycock Sr’s appeal hearing is scheduled to be heard on September 30. The other 11 appellants may also be heard on that date.