By LAMECH JOHNSON
Tribune Staff Reporter
A MAN, previously arraigned in connection with the production of child pornography, appeared in Magistrate’s Court yesterday afternoon for re-arraignment because of an “inadvertent error”.
However, 28-year-old Edmund Lewis Jr was told by Chief Magistrate Joyann Ferguson-Pratt that he must wait two days before he learns the court’s decision on bail regarding this development.
The adjournment to January 29 would make Lewis’ third appearance before the chief magistrate since Friday concerning child pornography videos he allegedly produced between July 2014 and January 21, 2015.
Lewis had been charged in a late arraignment on Friday and was informed that the charge of child pornography was an indictable offence, which is not the case.
The accused, at his initial arraignment, should have been given the option to be tried in either the Magistrate’s or Supreme Court and enter a plea to the charges.
Chief Magistrate Ferguson-Pratt, who took issue with the late arraignment on Friday, said the matter plagued her thoughts for the entire weekend. She decided to put Lewis on the order of attendance having determined that he had not been properly arraigned due to an “inadvertent error” that neither the Crown nor then-defence counsel had brought to the court’s attention.
Lewis has elected to be tried in Magistrate’s Court.
Given the change in circumstances, Lewis’ newly retained lawyer, Wayne Munroe, QC, argued that Lewis was a fit candidate for bail who should not be denied any more days away from his young child.
Police prosecutor ASP Clifford Daxon did not “strenuously” object to bail, but did ask the court to reserve its decision until Friday, when the police are expected to have completed their full investigation into this matter.
Standing the matter down for three hours, the chief magistrate said she would adjourn her decision to January 29 at 3pm.