0

Bahamian Entertainers Not Yet Paid For Carnival

A picture of Lady E posted to Facebook with her winners’ cheque - but she has not yet received her actual payment.

A picture of Lady E posted to Facebook with her winners’ cheque - but she has not yet received her actual payment.

By SANCHESKA BROWN

Tribune Staff Reporter

sbrown@tribunemedia.net

SEVERAL Bahamian entertainers who performed at the inaugural Bahamas Junkanoo Carnival have still not been paid, The Tribune understands.

When contacted for comment yesterday, CEO of the Bahamas National Festival Commission Roscoe Dames confirmed to The Tribune that the artists who participated in the Music Masters Competition were not paid.

However, he refused further comment, saying: “When we know and are able to provide the information, we will.”

Officials have also been tightlipped on the economic impact of the three-day festival, which ran May 7-9 in New Providence. On May 11, BNFC Chairman Paul Major said he would reveal this information in 21 days. When contacted on Sunday about this, he said he did not have the figures and was not sure when he would receive the information.

Mr Major was unavailable for comment yesterday.

The Tribune understands Sammi Star, Lady E and Colyn McDonald, who placed first second and third respectively in the competition, have not received their money from the government totalling more than $40,000.

Several artists expressed their concern on social media, claiming that the foreign artists who took part in the event were paid in full and the Bahamian artists “are being given the run around.”

However, when contacted by The Tribune, the artists did not want to speak publicly for fear of retribution.

One artist, who did not want to be named, said: “Every time we call, we get the run around. They keep giving us a date and then not reaching that date and when we contact them again, they say they will let us know. When will we know? It’s been almost a month and no one is saying anything to us.”

Last month, the BNFC appealed to the hundreds of workers who were mobilised during the 2015 Junkanoo Carnival season for understanding, as officials were processing payments for staff “in compliance with standard government procedures”.

The commission’s statement on outstanding payments read: “During the three-day event, we mobilised hundreds of Bahamians who diligently offered their time to ensure all Junkanoo Carnival patrons had a truly enriching experience.

“Presently, we are processing payments in compliance with standard government procedures and we are working tirelessly to ensure the process is completed as quickly as possible.

“Our staff will be calling all of our Bahamas Junkanoo Carnival 2015 workers with times for pickup for their cheques once the process is complete. We appeal for understanding as we work to ensure everyone is compensated for their contributions.”

The statement continued: “The Bahamas National Festival Commission would like to thank the many workers and suppliers who contributed their time, efforts and services to make the inaugural Bahamas Junkanoo Carnival season (2015) a successful event. Without the hard work of volunteers, paid staff and contracts, the event would not have been the resounding success that it was.”

The day carnival launched in New Providence, Mr Major predicted it could generate between $50 million to $60 million for the economy.

Comments

watcher 4 years, 4 months ago

Whilst we're on the subject of the Carnival.....a notice has been posted saying that Fort Charlotte cannot be used until July 10th, as they are re-seeding the main field. I have two major concerns here....(1) They did not properly clear the millions of tiny pea rocks that were used as a gravel base for the stalls at Carnival. This means that forever and a day, the field will be a danger to anyone who does any kind of sporting activity. Those little stones HURT when you slide or fall on them. (2) They want to re-seed a large field in only 6 weeks, and then immediately have a weekend of Independence Day parades and festivities?

Absolute madness !!! But then again, what else should we expect from this bunch of clowns ?

3

GrassRoot 4 years, 4 months ago

I guess all this can happen anywhere. What only happens in authoritarian, corrupt countries is this:

"However, when contacted by The Tribune, the artists did not want to speak publicly for fear of retribution."

shame on you government!!

2

ThisIsOurs 4 years, 4 months ago

They owe all kinds of people money not just workers and musicians

1

FNM_Retards 4 years, 4 months ago

LOL the foreign dread was probably smart enough to get paid BEFORE he went on stage. Everyone knows how government pays ALL OVER THE WORLD.

0

ThisIsOurs 4 years, 4 months ago

Yeah that's standard for major artists, but no employer will pay a regular worker before they perform the work. Where is Shane Gibson's voice? Shameful.

0

MaLambee 4 years, 4 months ago

We all know who got paid.... handsomely; rest assured! Some of the persons in charge are just mere opportunist. Check their track record over the years.. I was so surprised and disappointed to see who held the purse!! Perhaps if there was less pilfering....the workers could have been paid.

2

ThisIsOurs 4 years, 4 months ago

I wish I could give this 100 likes. For the life of me I do not understand a Prime Minister who repeats ad nauseum how clean his hands are but religiously appoints dirty hands people to oversee the greatest money chests in the country. Sometimes I lean to the belief that the answers aren't that difficult. Paul Major should never have been given this responsibility.

And they need to review the need for government workers and "consultants" to travel to every carnival known to man, all expenses paid. They're getting drunk, carousing and hotel bed bopping, I mean hopping, on tax payer's money, with nothing to show for it but nice pics of their "good time"

Who paid for the lavish after carnival private party? I sincerely hope nobody got a performance bonus for this event. This is utterly disgraceful.

2

duppyVAT 4 years, 4 months ago

Wonder how Paul Major's balance sheet is looking ............ his self-imposed 21-days reporting date is fast approaching .................. should we hold our breath???????????

1

TalRussell 4 years, 4 months ago

Oopzies Comrade Paul gone open his Carnival 2015 mouth again - prematurely. His 21 days, or was it months, reporting "promise" was made forcefully on May 10th and it expired at midnight on May 30th, makes his past-due date late by 4 days. I still waiting for the official "audited" Freeport weekender Carnival 2015 report that was promised within 7 days.

1

Sign in to comment