Man out on bail shot dead


Tribune Staff Reporter


A MAN out on bail and being electronically monitored by police was shot several times and died on Saturday pushing the country’s murder count for the year to 30.

According to police, they received a report of a shooting at Meadows Street. When they arrived on the scene they found the man suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. The incident happened shortly before 3am.

The victim was rushed to the hospital, but died shortly after 10.30am.

Up to press time, police had not released the identity of the victim. However, they did confirm that he was out on bail after being charged with a serious offence.

They appealed to members of the public to come forward with any information to assist in solving the case.

This comes after a mother of three was found stabbed and burnt beyond recognition in her home in the White’s Addition area off Kemp Road early Wednesday morning. She was identified as 33-year-old Tiffany Knowles.

Regarding that incident, Chief Superintendent Paul Rolle, officer in charge of the Central Detective Unit, said around 7am, a man arrived at the Wulff Road Police Station and reported that he had been involved in an argument with a woman at their home.

The man, 34, was helping police with the investigation into the woman’s death and the suspected arson. Although police said they needed an autopsy to determine a cause of death, they indicated they were investigating the matter as a homicide.

Before Ms Knowles’ death, Theophilus Thompson, 58, was shot multiple times and killed while dropping his girlfriend home on Saturday, March 7.

According to police reports, shortly before 11pm, Mr Thompson was sitting in his car with his girlfriend in front of her home on Podoleo Street, when a group of four or five men armed with handguns opened fire on the home. It is believed a stray bullet hit Mr Thompson.

The suspects then fled on foot in an unknown direction.

Mr Thompson tried to drive to the hospital, but crashed a short while later on Montrose Avenue. He was taken to hospital, but later died.

One-year-old Patrick McKenzie was the country’s 27th murder for the year. He was brought to the hospital unresponsive on Friday, March 6.

Samuel Mackey, 21, was charged with the death of the infant who was his girlfriend’s child.


duppyVAT 8 years, 2 months ago

Bahamians have come to accept that this is our new version of capital punishment ............ CP2.0


Sign in to comment