0

Murderer Fails To Contact Lawyer For Appeal

By LAMECH JOHNSON

Tribune Staff Reporter

ljohnson@tribunemedia.net

A MAN, challenging his conviction and 50-year sentence for the fatal stabbing of his girlfriend, has not been able to contact his new lawyer, Court of Appeal judges were told yesterday.

Douglas Pratt, 28, and his outgoing lawyer Murrio Ducille appeared before Justices Anita Allen, Neville Adderley, and Stella Maureen Crane-Scott for a status hearing concerning Pratt’s appeal against his conviction and sentence for the November 2010 murder of Shande Cartwright at Adelaide Beach.

Mr Ducille had previously asked the appellate court’s leave to withdraw from the case and Pratt was given an opportunity to seek other counsel.

When questioned about this, Pratt told the court he had not been able to reach his lawyer as yet.

Justice Allen, Court of Appeal president, said the matter would be further adjourned to May 19.

Last April, a Supreme Court jury unanimously agreed that Pratt killed Cartwright.

The victim, who was a client service representative at the Royal Bank of Canada, was found dead at Adelaide Beach with multiple stab wounds. A blanket, wine bottle and a pizza box were nearby.

The autopsy report of Dr Caryn Sands, Princess Margaret Hospital pathologist, revealed that the woman was stabbed 17 times, with some of the wounds being as deep as five inches.

Pratt, the father of Cartwright’s children, was arraigned four days later in connection with her death, but maintained his innocence when tried in the Supreme Court.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment