0

Men Face Court Accused Over Murder And Shooting

By NICO SCAVELLA

Tribune Staff Reporter

nscavella@tribunemedia.net

TWO men were arraigned in Magistrate’s Court yesterday in connection with a murder and a shooting incident that occurred earlier this month, one of which reportedly prompted an island-wide manhunt by police for the suspects involved.

Giovanni Lafleur, 24, and Aaron Virgil, 23, both stood before Magistrate Samuel McKinney facing one count of murder and three counts of attempted murder for incidents that occurred in the Nassau Village area on May 8.

It is alleged that Lafluer, of Hope Gardens, and Virgil, of Mt Tabor Estates, were responsible for the death of Luternier Excelus on May 8. The two men were also charged with three counts of attempted murder. It is alleged that both men tried to kill Stephon Bastian, Denario Andrews and Frederick Morley on the same day.

According to earlier police reports, the deceased was sitting on a bench playing a game of dominoes with a group of men on Matthew Street, Nassau Village, when the occupants of a red Kia jeep drove past and fired several shots into the group, hitting the man in the left side of his chest. He was pronounced dead on the scene.

A short time later, police said a group of men were standing a block away in front of a yard at Butler Street, Nassau Village, when the occupants of a gold Nissan Maxima vehicle drove past and discharged several shots into the group. The victims were taken to hospital, police said previously.

Neither Lafleur nor Virgil was required to enter a plea to the charges yesterday. Magistrate McKinney adjourned the matter to June 2 for fixture in Court Nine. In the meantime, Lafluer and Virgil were both remanded to the Bahamas Department of Correctional Services.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.