0

Man To Face Third Trial After Jury Again Cannot Reach A Verdict

By LAMECH JOHNSON

Tribune Staff Reporter

ljohnson@tribunemedia.net

A MAN faces a third retrial on a murder charge after a jury yesterday returned an 11-1 guilty verdict after less than two hours of deliberation.

Alexander Pierre Jr, 21, was standing trial before Justice Bernard Turner accused of intentionally causing the August 8, 2012, death of 29-year-old Raymond Thompson.

Thompson, of Market Street, was gunned down following an argument with a man in the area of East Street and Coconut Grove Avenue. He died of his injuries at the scene.

Justice Turner asked the jury’s forewoman: “Is there any prospect for a verdict upon further deliberation?”

The forewoman said no.

Justice Turner then addressed the accused and informed him that the verdict was unacceptable in law.

Prosecutor Desiree Ferguson asked the judge for the earliest retrial date available by the court.

It was alleged that Pierre shot Thompson eight times after they had an argument in an area off East Street that is commonly referred to as the “Big Yard”.

His father, a senior policeman, arrested him for the murder the following day. Pierre denied the crime during an interview with police and said that he was at his grandmother’s home on Key West Street.

However, the evidence of an anonymous witness placed him at the scene as the person who shot Thompson in his torso and head.

The witness, when cross-examined by attorney Richard Bootle, admitted that he had been smoking marijuana at the time but denied being “high.” He also denied that his testimony was false and a way to get back at Pierre Jr concerning a prior feud over a love interest.

Pierre Jr was remanded to the Department of Correctional Services to await his third retrial.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment