By LAMECH JOHNSON
Tribune Staff Reporter
A JUDGE has reserved his decision on what sentence he will impose on a man convicted by a jury for his involvement in the fatal attempted carjacking of a woman who was breastfeeding her baby six years ago.
Prosecutor Koschina Marshall asked Justice Ian Winder yesterday to sentence 33-year-old Valentino Dorsett - who has multiple convictions for stealing - to a prison term that would reflect society’s disdain for the crimes committed against 29-year-old Tagia Soles-Armony the night of August 7, 2009.
Dorsett’s lawyer, Troy Kelman, asked the judge to consider the probation report of Sonya Saunders who said that Dorsett’s criminal past stemmed from his disadvantaged childhood and expulsion from school in the ninth grade.
Justice Winder said he would have a decision on Monday, April 25, at 2pm.
Soles-Armony, who lived with her husband in St Kitts and Nevis, was in town to visit her family and to introduce her three-month-old baby to her relatives.
She was shot while sitting in her Honda Accord outside her mother’s home in Sea Breeze Estates during a resisted carjacking.
While there was a hung jury (7-5) on the murder charge, the jurors returned a 9-3 guilty verdict on the lesser charge of manslaughter, which the judge accepted. Dorsett was also convicted of attempted armed robbery by 11-1. According to evidence heard in court, Soles-Armony drove off after being approached by “Nine”, who, according to Dorsett, had pointed a gun at the woman.
“Nine” reportedly fired shots, ran behind the car and shot again.
Dorsett reportedly followed, jumping over a garbage can in the process of the pursuit.
The fatal bullet went through her left arm, into the left side just below her armpit in the area of the breast, through the heart and both lungs. The bullet was embedded in the car seat.
“Nine” and another accomplice, “D-Boy”, had been brought in for questioning but there was no direct evidence linking them to the incident as alleged by Dorsett, the jury heard.
Dorsett contended that he never gave a statement or interview to police, only that he was held at the Central Detective Unit until 9pm on August 12, 2009 the date of his arrest.
He said he was beaten for a number of days before his arraignment and taken to the Department of Correctional Services.
Concerning his girlfriend’s cell phone that was allegedly found at the scene, he claimed police had planted the phone there to frame him.