Sentencing Of Mccartney Killers Delayed


Tribune Staff Reporter


SENTENCING for a former couple convicted of having a role in the killing of businessman Kurt McCartney did not proceed yesterday as scheduled.

Thorne Edwards and Lyndera Curry faced sentencing before Senior Justice Stephen Isaacs on respective charges of murder and manslaughter stemming the accosting and fatal shooting that occurred on October 24, 2013, in Gambier.

However, it was revealed that Edwards’ psychiatric report - which was requested in the event that the court obliged the Crown’s recommendation to impose the discretionary death penalty - would not be ready for some weeks.

The court was also made aware that attorney Geoffrey Farquharson will be representing Edwards going forward.

The matter has been adjourned to April 11.

Edwards, Curry, Okell Farrington and Sumya Ingraham were on trial for nearly two weeks concerning McCartney’s murder and armed robbery.

On December 14, a jury of 11 women and 1 man took three hours to return verdicts for each of the accused persons after they had been excused to deliberate on the evidence.

Edwards was unanimously convicted of murder and was found guilty of armed robbery on a majority verdict of 9-3.

Curry was acquitted of murder but found guilty of the lesser charge of manslaughter by 11-1. The same count was returned on her conviction for armed robbery.

Both Farrington and Ingraham were acquitted of murder, manslaughter and armed robbery. Businessman and community activist Terry Delancy, who had been accused of being an accessory to the murder after the fact, was acquitted of the charge following the close of the prosecution’s case due to legal reasons.

It was alleged that Edwards shot McCartney in the face after he became involved in an argument between Curry and the victim. The prosecution maintained that McCartney was crushed when Farrington, Ingraham and Curry allegedly rolled over his body as they fled the scene in the victim’s Hummer. It was alleged that Edwards ran away after the shooting.

At trial, the jury heard from anonymous witness “AB” who said the pharmacist was arguing with one of two women he was walking with, Curry and Ingraham, and that one of the women signaled to a man who approached and shoved McCartney before shooting the victim.

wever, a 12-year-old witness told the jury that there was a single assailant who startled McCartney as he was trying to enter his vehicle, shot him in the head and then sped off in the victim’s car after rolling over him.

Ingraham, Curry, Edwards and Farrington were respectively represented by Romona Farquharson-Seymour, Sonia Timothy, Terrel Butler and Philip Hilton. Delancy was represented by Ian Cargill.

Roger Thompson prosecuted the case.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.